should i get this? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

should i get this?

I went and looked at the bike today and cosmetically it isn't great, cracked fairing and scratching, windshield is broken on one end...looks like it was probably set down, but there are no deep parallel scratches so I don't think the bike was moving when that happened. Starts and runs pretty good(need to hold throttle open for a couple seconds on start up), shifts fine without a problem, and looks like mechanically it has been at least decently maintained, could use a couple things like rear tire, regular stuff like that.

Guy was asking 1k for it, and I got him down to around 850, and I might be able to get him down to 800, which I feel is pretty decent for a bike that's running well (haven't seen a ninja 250r in my area for less than $1500 in running order). Has ~21k on it.

This will be my first bike so I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger.

My issue though is this. He claimed it bought it from his friend (~1 yr ago) who signed the title, but the guy didn't sign it himself and hasn't done so or bothered registering in the past year he's had it. He says he just keeps getting temp tags from someone he knows. He says that I can just sign the title and take it to the DMV without a problem. Vins match up between the bike and title and the title is clean. While this might be shady/illegal on his part, will I be okay? I just don't want to run into trouble when I try to register it in KS.
Another thing that considered me was there was a small area of rust starting on the gas tank in the corner on the outside. Is this a big deal or can I just sand it down and paint over it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavman View Post
I went and looked at the bike today and cosmetically it isn't great, cracked fairing and scratching, windshield is broken on one end...looks like it was probably set down, but there are no deep parallel scratches so I don't think the bike was moving when that happened. Starts and runs pretty good(need to hold throttle open for a couple seconds on start up), shifts fine without a problem, and looks like mechanically it has been at least decently maintained, could use a couple things like rear tire, regular stuff like that.

Guy was asking 1k for it, and I got him down to around 850, and I might be able to get him down to 800, which I feel is pretty decent for a bike that's running well (haven't seen a ninja 250r in my area for less than $1500 in running order). Has ~21k on it.

This will be my first bike so I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger.

My issue though is this. He claimed it bought it from his friend (~1 yr ago) who signed the title, but the guy didn't sign it himself and hasn't done so or bothered registering in the past year he's had it. He says he just keeps getting temp tags from someone he knows. He says that I can just sign the title and take it to the DMV without a problem. Vins match up between the bike and title and the title is clean. While this might be shady/illegal on his part, will I be okay? I just don't want to run into trouble when I try to register it in KS.
Another thing that considered me was there was a small area of rust starting on the gas tank in the corner on the outside. Is this a big deal or can I just sand it down and paint over it?
Not sure about KS but I'll post from how it is in Missouri.

What he did is shady as hell but if the title has been signed by the original owner that is printed on the front of the title then you can fill in your information and get it registered. They may require a bill of sale for you to title it which may be a hassle of trying to track down the original owner to obtain.

Call your DMV to find out what you need to bring to register it. If you need a bill of sale I'd walk unless the guy plans on giving it to you for a lot cheaper.

CCS & MCRA #81

2010 YZF-R6
2009 YZF-R6
2010 250R
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM

very similar in Mn. As long as it's not dated and original owner signed it in the proper places shouldn't be a problem.Although the guy selling it did technically break the law by not transfering it into his name does make it a little questionable.
In Minnesota you have 7-10 day to transfer title or you pay a late fee,also the proper engine number must be recordred upon transfer or you are screwed.Lots of paper work and bonded title will follow.a hassle.
Get him down to $500 maybe $600 at most,21,xxx miles and all banged up that's all I would pay,but that's just me. Good luck and let us know what you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Yeah definitely pretty shady, the guy doesn't even had his motorcycle license (said something about a dui?)...probably why it isn't registered. I will definitely check with my DMV tomorrow about the missed registration. In the mean time, is there somewhere I can check the vin to see if its been reported stolen or something like that?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Write down vin if you go back and look at it and call the state or local police dept.or DMV tell them your looking at buying it and see if they will run vin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement