Future 250r Owner + New To Bikes - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Smile Future 250r Owner + New To Bikes

Hey there! Names John! So I'm a future 250r owner and should be picking up a used one in the next month or two! This will also be my first bike

I just wanted to stop by and say hello because I'm sure I'll be searching and asking all types of questions in the next few months :P

For starters though is there anything I need to look into before making a purchase on a used Ninja 250r? Such as its mileage, year, or certain mechanical pieces?

Any and all tips and advice would be great Thanks y'all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Welcome to the forum! The first thing I would do is find and take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course.

I am new to Ninja 250's myself, but in general you want to look for:
  • Sliding damage to the fairing, bar ends, brake/clutch levers, and exhaust, missing blinkers, or a bent/damaged center stand could indicate frame damage. Most likely not, but ask about it. Damage from a tip-over may be visible but that alone doesn't tell me that the bike was been mistreated.
  • Look at the color of the oil in the oil sight glass. Is the oil clean looking or dark black. Dark black may mean the owner doesn't change the oil much. At best, clean oil only tells you that the oil has only been changed once, but I like to see clean oil anyway. Also look at the oil level. It should be in the middle of the sight glass when the bike is on the center stand.
  • Look at the fork to see if the shocks are leaking oil.
  • Check the condition of the tires. Tires that don't have much tread can be replaced. If the tires have low air pressure, the owner may not have cared much about the mainenance of the bike.
  • Look for oil buildup or leaks around the engine gaskets. On older bike some buildup is inevitable, but major leaks can be seen.
  • Make sure the bike starts easily and keeps running, making sure that the engine doesn't need the choke on to stay running.
  • While the engine is running listen to how the engine sounds. Some noises sound bad but can be easily fixed, others not so much. Mine sounded terrible when I bought it but there was an easy fix. Listen Here
  • A torn seat may only mean the bike was not garaged. The look bad but can be easily replaced or recovered.
  • Obvious modifications to the engine, air system, or electronics. Ask what they are and who did them. Poor installation may come back to bite you later.
  • Make sure the handlebars turn easily with no rough spots or binding.
  • Make sure the owner has the title in his name and that there are no liens on the bike.
  • Make sure the brake and clutch levers work with no stiff or rough spots. Make sure the bike shifts though all gears.
That list is in no way inclusive, but that is a good beginning.

Good luck and let us know if and what you get.

G26

Check out my blog - G26 MotoBlog
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Phantom Silver
2009 Kawasaki KLR650
2004 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
2007 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement