Is the 250 right for my first bike? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Is the 250 right for my first bike?

Hello all. I am brand new to motorcycles. I have relatively no experience with bikes. I have ridden an ATV so I am a bit familiar with shifting but that is where my experience ends. I am craving a new bike so bad because they look fun and I need a reliable second vehicle, and I have an opportunity to get a 2010 ninja 250r for $3600 with only 600 miles. Im ready to jump on it but I have some things Im worried about.

The bike will be used mostly for school(10 mile highway trip) and going on short trips around the block. Im not too overly concerned with power because I have a mitsubishi evo that goes like hell(when actually running lol, hence why I need a second vehicle) but at the same time due to the fact I do have a fast car having a bike that goes like a snail is not too appeasing either. Now from what Ive read this bike has decent performance figures and is probably a lot quicker than most cars off the line but I would still like input from actual owners.

So to sum up I dont really need the bike to rocket down the straights because my car takes care of that job but I also dont want a bike that feels slower than a civic. I also plan to take the bike on twisty roads every few weekends to have some real fun with it.

So right now this is the bike Im leaning towards, though I have a chance to also pick up a used zx6e I feel this is probably too much bike for me at the moment since I will be learning from scratch on it.

What are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM
"A"

For a first bike, $3600 is a good chunk of $$, IMO. Pre-2008 (previous generation) Ninja 250 are easily found under $2000 and likely in decent shape. I just picked up a 2004 model with 78xx mi. for $850:

Take the Moto Safety Class in your area and go from there.
IMO, if you want to have fun in the twisties, there is no more satifying experience than out riding bigger bikes in the twisties on a Ninja 250.. rider's skill can outweigh engine output when interesting roads present themselves.

Mankind is doomed, Find out why.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the reply. I do agree that 3600 is quite a lot. Ive just been so excited to get a bike that I didnt want to wait. But I think I need to step back and just relax a bit and wait for a good old used 250 to show.

Im already taking the moto class this weekend and definitely from there I'll be on the lookout out for a cheap used 250. I havent been able to find many iin my area though. Do you know of any good places online that sell motorcycles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Being a noob there is a decent chance your 1st bike will meet the pavement in one way or the other. With that being said it's up to you if you want a new shiny bike or an older not so shiny bike. The bike may feel like a snail at first but once you get the hang of things you can make it go quite quick in the twisties. Like "A" said there ain't much better than out riding a bigger bike. Start small and in the long run you will become a better rider.

As far as online goes I really can't help you. Personally I wouldn't buy anything that I can't visibly check out first. Try craigslist, pennysaver, or the for sale sections of your local forums. Don't spend all your money on the bike either. Make sure you have the dough for some good gear.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
"A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by def1 View Post
Do you know of any good places online that sell motorcycles?
I search through Craigslist all the time. Just click on the link supplied and sort out for the ads near your location.

Mankind is doomed, Find out why.

Last edited by "A"; 02-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Hi

I am also a former ATV rider, and I was a bit cocky, but after sitting on a 250 and experiencing a twist throttle for the first time, as well as the quick torque on the 250R, I was immediately convince I would wreck anything bigger in no time.

I picked my 09 250R with 9K for 2900, and it is definitely making a mouse out of me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to FunSizedNinjaGrl Send a message via Yahoo to FunSizedNinjaGrl
my bike (very first bike) is a 2008 with 2700 miles on it and i just bought it saturday for $1800 dollars.
granted, it has a little bit of road rash on BOTH sides, because the previous owner was a newbie to riding also.

But...it looks perfect from about 6 feet away until you come up for a closer inspection....but whatever, its MINE

Ive only had it out on the road maybe a total of 4 hrs so far......

But I frickin LOVE it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM

I bought my bike brand new only has 2 miles on it from a dyno test it is a 2009 and i paid 3600 for it. however my friend bought a 1999 ninja 250 with 19,xxx miles on it and it still was great time riding it. With the anixios feeling I feel you on that i have been waiting for a year to get a bike and no really good used ones rolled around so i just bought new and still haven't rode it yet. so just hang in there it will come around.

'09 Ninja 250R Special Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement