Hey :) - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey :)

Hey guys I'm 16 years old 5'7 and 145 lbs I've heard from everyone one to get a ninja 250r from the year '09 but I don't know if the newer models are better or if the 09 is the best for beginners? Also would yall happen to know the price of a brand new new one in Dallas Texas? Any other information or tips would be much appreciated for example how's the experience and how was the test ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason214 View Post
Hey guys I'm 16 years old 5'7 and 145 lbs I've heard from everyone one to get a ninja 250r from the year '09 but I don't know if the newer models are better or if the 09 is the best for beginners? Also would yall happen to know the price of a brand new new one in Dallas Texas? Any other information or tips would be much appreciated for example how's the experience and how was the test ?

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum.

Any of the 250's from 09-up are pretty much identical mechanically and in terms of handling, etc. so don't sweat it. The 250 IS a beginner's friendly bike so you really can't go wrong with it.

As for the brand-new, the Ninja 250 was discontinued in 2012. The new 300 is pretty identical in terms of ride height, etc. but with a few more cc's and fuel injection (all prior years are carbureted.) You might be able to score a new 2012 with a lot of searching (I got mine brand new last December and it was tagged at $2,999.00.....but of course after freight, dealer prep, taxes etc is was more.) but I wouldn't count on it. The new 300 is around $4,699 or so MSRP. (Still a great deal for a good bike.) (I have heard it has steering bearing issues though..)

If you look for a used bike, take along someone who KNOWS bikes and can thoroughly check it out front to back and everywhere in between. Since the 250 IS a beginner's bike, they are often ridden hard, often dropped or involved in accidents so be careful who you buy a used bike from.

Haven't done my MSF yet...I have prior street (and motocross) riding experience though.

As a young man and with no experience..TAKE THE MSF BEGINNER RIDER COURSE!! It costs about $250 but it is worth every penny and WILL save you money on insurance and more importantly, WILL possibly save your life!!

(And the MSF is more fun than the motor vehicle office's dumb drive test. )

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.

Last edited by Mxslick; 07-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I really appreciate the info and tips and I will take the course but I'm still not sure about the bike I really want a 09 but also is the 2012 or 2013 good for a beginner like me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM

No problem.

The 2012 (and all the others from 09 and up ) are identical except for the plastics and will be great,

The 2013 300 is still a great beginner bike with the advantage of the fuel injection which makes it less cold blooded. (Browse the forums here and you'll find a lot of info about the 250's cold starting habits.)

If you do end up with a brand-new bike, the break in period is super critical. You MUST follow the proper break-in or the engine will be ruined in short order. (BTW the factory's procedure is not the best.. see this thread: https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7337 )

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.

Last edited by Mxslick; 07-26-2013 at 12:41 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay I read it but may you explain a whole lot simpler when u meant the red line or by cold blooded

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason214 View Post
Okay I read it but may you explain a whole lot simpler when u meant the red line or by cold blooded

Sure:

Redline = Maximum safe RPM's that a given engine can run at. Usually indicated on a bike's tachometer by red numbers or a red bar background (thus "redline")

Cold-Blooded = Bikes that are hard starting or require the use of the choke when starting cold, more so than other bikes.

Being a two-cylinder, the Ninja 250 is very sensitive to cold starts and requires more time on choke or warming up than a 4-cylinder bike. For example, Ninja Boy requires choke even on warm days after sitting for more than a few hours. By contrast, my old FZ750 (4 cyl.) only needed choke on very cold days, and almost never once it had been warmed up , regardless of how long it sat.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM

Jason take the msf course it helps out. I took mine by 635 on a wide open parking lot
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey your from dallas right? Do you know how I can get a permit?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM

Yeah I'm from Dallas
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Take the msf course when you pass they will give you a permit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement