Convincing your parents.. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Convincing your parents..

As most of you know there is always someone in the family that doesn't approve of you riding. But to make it worse my father does not want me to ride but my mother in the other hand is ok with it. Weird huh? It should be the other way. Anyway.. I am taking my classes on the 8th of next month and bought all my riding gear. I know bikes can be very dangerous but the first step is knowing that they are and that you are not superman. My question is how did some of you convince your family members into letting you ride? I'm sure there is a couple new riders on here that are young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Well my friend, what I can tell you is that it doesn't matter how old (or young) you are, the parents will still voice their opinions. I was 25 when I started to ride motocross, and mom was pissed. Dad thought it was cool because he used to race stock cars (and wanted me to do it too, but things turned out not as planned.)

When I bought Ninja Boy in December of last year. my mom got super pissed off and wouldn't talk to me for a week. (I was 49 then BTW.) She got over it soon enough.

I can say you are headed in the right direction, by taking the MSF classes and showing responsibility.

And that responsibility includes paying for the bike, insurance and maintenance on your own, and by not riding like a fool and getting tickets.

Keep up the positive work and attitude and you'll be ok with the parents.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM

I was 19.5 when i went out and bought my ninja for myself. Of course i took the msf class and had all my gear before i went out and bought it all with my own expense. Brought it home and parents were kinda upset but they got over it pretty fast and it's been great ever since. I had always told them i was gonna buy one but they never believed me. now almost a year later i have no regrets and am extremely happy with my decision. Glad my parents learned to accept my passion for bikes and riding. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM

My mom never liked the idea, my dad used to race though. she ended up just taking out a life insurance policy on me and hoped it didnt come to that. on the other hand i have a friand in AZ who is a girl and ended up just taking the bike home and showed her parents once it was already there they were forced to come to terms and get over it. show them you are safety consious or consider taking other classes alond with msf.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixxy24 View Post
My mom never liked the idea, my dad used to race though. she ended up just taking out a life insurance policy on me and hoped it didnt come to that. on the other hand i have a friand in AZ who is a girl and ended up just taking the bike home and showed her parents once it was already there they were forced to come to terms and get over it. show them you are safety consious or consider taking other classes alond with msf.
Yeah, Im trying to do it the right way. By buying gear and taking the classes. I just wish my dad was more understanding. Hope he comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uahmad3 View Post
I was 19.5 when i went out and bought my ninja for myself. Of course i took the msf class and had all my gear before i went out and bought it all with my own expense. Brought it home and parents were kinda upset but they got over it pretty fast and it's been great ever since. I had always told them i was gonna buy one but they never believed me. now almost a year later i have no regrets and am extremely happy with my decision. Glad my parents learned to accept my passion for bikes and riding. Good luck!
Yeah, everything I own I have bought for myself. I recently purchased my helmet, jacket and gloves for my classes. I hope they understand and to ride a motorcycle is something I want to do.

my newbies thread.
https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxslick View Post
Well my friend, what I can tell you is that it doesn't matter how old (or young) you are, the parents will still voice their opinions. I was 25 when I started to ride motocross, and mom was pissed. Dad thought it was cool because he used to race stock cars (and wanted me to do it too, but things turned out not as planned.)

When I bought Ninja Boy in December of last year. my mom got super pissed off and wouldn't talk to me for a week. (I was 49 then BTW.) She got over it soon enough.

I can say you are headed in the right direction, by taking the MSF classes and showing responsibility.

And that responsibility includes paying for the bike, insurance and maintenance on your own, and by not riding like a fool and getting tickets.

Keep up the positive work and attitude and you'll be ok with the parents.
Thank you. I told my pops Im not going to ride like an idiot but he dont beleive me . He will come around..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Odds are he will come around. Be patient and respectful and I am sure things will work out ok for you.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM

My old man never came around, he's just jealous that its so awesome!!! But saying you won't do anything stupid is kinda like lying to his face ImageUploadedByMO Free1372221870.424212.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 PM

This takes me back! I bought my 1st bike at 16, without telling my parents, they were pretty pissed when they saw it in the garage, it started with it's either you or the bike leaving which gradually changed to just be careful, when I started racing they came out most race weekends and my dad even took an interest in riding after a few years, now even my mom can point out a GSXR or a Ninja or a Victory, I've even taken her for a few rides over the years.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM

That's sweet that your mom can tell the differences in bikes now

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement