Convincing your parents.. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6
Convincing your parents..

As most of you know there is always someone in the family that doesn't approve of you riding. But to make it worse my father does not want me to ride but my mother in the other hand is ok with it. Weird huh? It should be the other way. Anyway.. I am taking my classes on the 8th of next month and bought all my riding gear. I know bikes can be very dangerous but the first step is knowing that they are and that you are not superman. My question is how did some of you convince your family members into letting you ride? I'm sure there is a couple new riders on here that are young.
Patron022 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Moderator
 
Mxslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 268
Well my friend, what I can tell you is that it doesn't matter how old (or young) you are, the parents will still voice their opinions. I was 25 when I started to ride motocross, and mom was pissed. Dad thought it was cool because he used to race stock cars (and wanted me to do it too, but things turned out not as planned.)

When I bought Ninja Boy in December of last year. my mom got super pissed off and wouldn't talk to me for a week. (I was 49 then BTW.) She got over it soon enough.

I can say you are headed in the right direction, by taking the MSF classes and showing responsibility.

And that responsibility includes paying for the bike, insurance and maintenance on your own, and by not riding like a fool and getting tickets.

Keep up the positive work and attitude and you'll be ok with the parents.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Mxslick is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Junior Member
 
uahmad3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10
I was 19.5 when i went out and bought my ninja for myself. Of course i took the msf class and had all my gear before i went out and bought it all with my own expense. Brought it home and parents were kinda upset but they got over it pretty fast and it's been great ever since. I had always told them i was gonna buy one but they never believed me. now almost a year later i have no regrets and am extremely happy with my decision. Glad my parents learned to accept my passion for bikes and riding. Good luck!
uahmad3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Parkersburg
Posts: 26
My mom never liked the idea, my dad used to race though. she ended up just taking out a life insurance policy on me and hoped it didnt come to that. on the other hand i have a friand in AZ who is a girl and ended up just taking the bike home and showed her parents once it was already there they were forced to come to terms and get over it. show them you are safety consious or consider taking other classes alond with msf.
wixxy24 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wixxy24 View Post
My mom never liked the idea, my dad used to race though. she ended up just taking out a life insurance policy on me and hoped it didnt come to that. on the other hand i have a friand in AZ who is a girl and ended up just taking the bike home and showed her parents once it was already there they were forced to come to terms and get over it. show them you are safety consious or consider taking other classes alond with msf.
Yeah, Im trying to do it the right way. By buying gear and taking the classes. I just wish my dad was more understanding. Hope he comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uahmad3 View Post
I was 19.5 when i went out and bought my ninja for myself. Of course i took the msf class and had all my gear before i went out and bought it all with my own expense. Brought it home and parents were kinda upset but they got over it pretty fast and it's been great ever since. I had always told them i was gonna buy one but they never believed me. now almost a year later i have no regrets and am extremely happy with my decision. Glad my parents learned to accept my passion for bikes and riding. Good luck!
Yeah, everything I own I have bought for myself. I recently purchased my helmet, jacket and gloves for my classes. I hope they understand and to ride a motorcycle is something I want to do.

my newbies thread.
https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxslick View Post
Well my friend, what I can tell you is that it doesn't matter how old (or young) you are, the parents will still voice their opinions. I was 25 when I started to ride motocross, and mom was pissed. Dad thought it was cool because he used to race stock cars (and wanted me to do it too, but things turned out not as planned.)

When I bought Ninja Boy in December of last year. my mom got super pissed off and wouldn't talk to me for a week. (I was 49 then BTW.) She got over it soon enough.

I can say you are headed in the right direction, by taking the MSF classes and showing responsibility.

And that responsibility includes paying for the bike, insurance and maintenance on your own, and by not riding like a fool and getting tickets.

Keep up the positive work and attitude and you'll be ok with the parents.
Thank you. I told my pops Im not going to ride like an idiot but he dont beleive me . He will come around..
Patron022 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Moderator
 
Mxslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 268
Odds are he will come around. Be patient and respectful and I am sure things will work out ok for you.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Mxslick is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Nol-Dogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 152
My old man never came around, he's just jealous that its so awesome!!! But saying you won't do anything stupid is kinda like lying to his face ImageUploadedByMO Free1372221870.424212.jpg


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Nol-Dogg is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 3
This takes me back! I bought my 1st bike at 16, without telling my parents, they were pretty pissed when they saw it in the garage, it started with it's either you or the bike leaving which gradually changed to just be careful, when I started racing they came out most race weekends and my dad even took an interest in riding after a few years, now even my mom can point out a GSXR or a Ninja or a Victory, I've even taken her for a few rides over the years.
Zedder seven is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Gabe81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 705
That's sweet that your mom can tell the differences in bikes now


Sent from Motorcycle.com App



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
Gabe81 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Nol-Dogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 152
Nol-Dogg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
convincing, parents

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome