Break in Period - Confused - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Break in Period - Confused

Hey guys, I am new on the forum and picked up my 09 250 3 days ago. I am sure this has brought up a lot of times and yes I have read some of the posts but there are so many different ways for break in. Honestly I feel really confused and not sure which way to go with? How many people have tried the Motoman way? It sounds pretty harsh? My dealer forgot to give me the manual so I don't know the factory way, though I will be picking up the manual in 2-3 days. Any ways I have put about 40 miles on the bike and I am keeping it under 5000RPM (50 Miles) which is definitly hard to do. What is the break in period for the bike, how many miles?
Also when is the first service due (miles), what does it intail and the approximate cost? What kind of oil is used, synthetic or regular? Any tips or advices are appreciated.

Shan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 AM

I have a fuel injected version with 33 bhp, but the engine is the same anyway, so I'll share how I did my break-in.

For the first 500 miles), I kept the bike at 4000-5000 rpm 95% of the time with short high rev bursts (6-8k) in between, and between 500-1000 miles I kept it between 6-8k rpm. The manufacturer says to keep it at 4000 rpm or below till 500 miles and below 6000 till you hit 1000 miles.

The first service for my bike was at 600 miles - the next one due is at 3700 miles. The oil is semi-synthetic. Synthetic should only be used after 2500 miles or so, and if you are always riding the bike at high revs, 10K+ types.

My friend used Motoman on his 250R and it worked out for him, though I did not try it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

blue volt, thanks for the quick reply. I am still doing a ton of research and not sure which way to go but hopefull by the end of this weekend I will figure it out

2009 Kawasaki 250r
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (B.P.U and tuned)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Head Janitor

I always vary the RPM on my bikes when I break them in. That's the most important thing IMHO. I do that for about 500 miles, oil change, then ride it normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement