Taking the leap - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Question Taking the leap

Howzit!
Okay I'm an older male person (53 yrs.) and am looking to get a 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r to use as a commuter bike to and from work which is a distance of about 6 miles or 12 miles round trip max. I currently drive a 04 Tacoma Truck and when gas gets to $4.00 a gallon I'll be screw'd! I'm a newbie stand 5'-4" weigh in at 140 lbs. (but I'm dieting to 130 lbs.) and I'm looking at the Ninja 250r. One big reason I'm looking at the 250r is the seat height and me being of a rather shorter stature my ride height flat footed would be about 28" it seems the 250r is the best choice. Also from what I've heard and surfed the net the 250r it is by far the best for any beginner rider.

So here is the problem and what I'm looking down at before I make the leap if I ever do. Is the Ninja 250r the right bike for me? Would I be able to stand the bike while still? Is what I'm doing (using a bike for pure commuter purposes) a good idea? And how do I convince my wife who by the way gives me the "stink eye" anytime I mention this whole deal cause she's afraid I'm going to get killed the validity of all this.

Funny but I actually went down to the dealership with her to look at a BMW FG650 but I was totally blown away on the size of it. That thing is BIG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM

I'm also 5'4", you'll have no problem on this bike. Depends on your inseam though. I'm short and it still works out. If you wear regular shoes to ride it's a lot easier too since you can bend your toes and ankle.

The Ninja is a good commuter and should do you good. Standing the bike up shouldn't be a problem, you could always "half-ass" it.

As for convincing the wife... i am not qualified to give any advice here.

Good luck
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 PM

^ ditto on all points

Last edited by minichris; 08-28-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Malaqui
Aloha!

Personally i would just get a bicycle if it was only a 6 mile ride to work. Save on gas completely. Or a moped.

But if you plan on using the bike for some fun rides once in a while, then do get the 250R. Its an awesome bike that is pleasing in every aspect.

Go Go Kawasaki Go!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 PM

well all i can say is that riding a 250R will make you feel like a younger person for sure, bike looks great and its a great commuter. I ride to work and back everyother day, also depends on the weather but im doing 70 miles round trip so its a lot more. Being married...well i am. I kept on talking to my wife about the 250R, went to the dealer with her and made her sit on the back. My wife also thinks that getting a bike is stupid and that im gonna do something to myself, but then i tell her that after all..its 100hp less then a R6 or GSXR or whatever and that shuts her up. I have a very stressful job, so i told her that riding to work will make me relaxed and calm. Eventually i just bought the bike and well she gave up all the pointless complaning. It perhaps sounds easy, well im 24 years old so it was kinda easier to get my wife convinced. Good luck, and simply put...get the ninja and you wont regret it. PERIOD.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Find a new wife?!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 07:13 AM

I too think the 250r is a good idea for commuting (most of my miles).

As far as convincing the wife, I think that taking a safety course (MSF curricula) from an approved organization would go a loooong way in convincing her that you will be safe. Do that before you buy the bike, though, as they lend you a bike, helmet and gloves, and you get to take the course in one of their motorcycles. That way you find out if you a)like riding a bike, or b)are apt to ride a bike, before you make the investment on your own bike.

Also, talk to her about how motorcycle gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves) can help in the unfortunate event of you dropping the bike, and get yourself fitted with the right gear for you.

Once you take the course, decide that you do like the sport, get the bike and gear, go out to a clean, empty parking lot to practice what you learned in the course and let her know that.

That will put her mind more at ease.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 AM

as for getting a 250r its a no brainer as for convincing the wife well mine told me i wos only aloud to get a bike so guess what im getting... the first 250r i can get my little hands on... im only 5'2"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM

You've already gotten very good sound advice. The 250R is a great beginner bike and is perfect for short commutes. I second the MSF course and all the proper gear. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

09' SE Ninja 250R
Shogun crash kit, Sato Racing bar ends, Pazzo shorty levers, Puig DB screen, Proton flushmounts, Luimoto seat covers, Fender Eliminator w/ LED signals and plate light, Progrip 725 black/green grips, Immortal Graphix Monster tank pad
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
You've already gotten very good sound advice. The 250R is a great beginner bike and is perfect for short commutes. I second the MSF course and all the proper gear. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
I took the MSF course I highly recommend it! I recently got my bike on the road and have started riding it. I love and so will you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement