Question about my Choke - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Question about my Choke

I bought my 250 a few weeks ago and me and my fiancé have been riding it. (I am new to riding, he's been riding since he was five). I am currently taking my safety course and so I decided I felt I had enough experience to take it out onto the road to work last nite. It was around 45-50 degrees F outside, and I figured id need to turn the choke on to start. I turned it on and let the bike warm up for a few minutes, hopped on and proceeded down the road. I went not even a block and my bike stalled in the middle of the road. It wouldn't start. I had to apply the choke again. Turned it off...pressed throttle...bike stalls AGAIN. So I ended up riding to work with the Choke half on (I did research and discovered this is a no no, but I didn't know what else to do...) I rode to work about 3 miles away. So at least it wasn't far. On way home from work. Same thing happened!! Bike stalled when I was pulling into an intersection and that was even with the choke partially on so I had to put it on halfway again (I did keep an eye on my rpms and they stayed around 7000 going 55mph). So Im wondering if this is a problem? I started it today in my garage in neutral, left it warm up some, turned off choke. it idled. gave it some throttle....stalled. same thing. stalled. I finally discovered that if I ease very VERY slowly on throttle it will revv without stalling, but as soon as a pull back a little harder it stalls. Is this normal?? I don't remember it acting like this the last 3-4 times I rode it and my fiancé said it don't sound right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Was this a brand-new bike, or even a used one that has been on the showroom floor for a long time?

My bet is one of the carbs is dirty or clogged.

A quick test:

From a dead-cold bike, start it up and run it for no more than 10 seconds. Shut it off and VERY CAREFULLY touch the exhaust pipes about six inches down from where they exit the front of the engine. If one pipe is hot and the other is not, that means that the cold side is not firing properly. (Can be due to carb or fouled spark plug, or ignition system failure.)

If you have access to a laser IR thermometer (Harbor Freight sells a nice one for around $50) you can measure the pipe temperatures, they should be within 25-30 degrees of each other when hot.

Ninja Boy was BRAND NEW but had set on the showroom for an extended time, the #2 carb was gummed up and it was running on only one cylinder the second time I started it up. The dealer sent a truck, picked it up, cleaned both carbs and it was fine after that.

If it was new (or used brought from a dealer) take it back and make them fix it.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement