Newbie, Just picked up my first motorcycle. PICS - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Newbie, Just picked up my first motorcycle. PICS

Hey fellas,

New member here and glad to be a poster on this site. I just got back from my first ride on my new bike and wow I can't explain how incredible it was to ride for the first time. I picked up my bike today at a local dealership 08 Ninja 250 with 2400 miles, paid 2800 out the door. Did I get a good deal? I got a icon mainframe subhuman helmet, he told me it was 280$ retail and give it to me for 80.00. The bike was dropped on both sides but it's really not bad looking on either side. My first day of riding and here is what I need to work on and you guys can give me any tips that may be helpful. I got the shifting down but I'm having problems turning to my right side for some reason, just can't turn as good on my right side and I'm right handed. I didn't go crazy my first day, rode around my street and went down higway for like 1 mile and I got scared, going 50 on motorcycle is very different than car. I don't know why begineers are talking about the 250 not having enough power but let me asure all those, this bike is plenty for a begineer and a blast to ride. I would crap my pants on a 600. Don't plan on being on highway much or interstate at all. I live in a small town so traffic is not bad at all and did go threw town once and back home. I think i did good for my first day ever on a bike but I'm gonna wait a while before I get out much. I think I'm going to take the course they offer also. Let me know what you guys think. Later, Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.JPG (80.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 009.JPG (54.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (55.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (58.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (92.3 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by GaryWayne; 07-25-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:57 PM

Welcome

I like left turns better than rights as well. You will get better with saddle time. The best thing you could do is enroll in a MSF class or something similar in your area.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Congrats on the new bike!

Yea, if you haven't taken MSF or a similar riding course you should consider it as it should help you a lot and definitely be worth the price.

I don't have a lot of riding experience but you might want to try loosening up on the bars. Grip the tank with your knees tightly, ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, push your toes in, and keep your heel tight against that guard (not sure what it's called). Your lower body and back should be doing most of the work, you'll notice you have a lot more stability too. You should have little to no pressure in your wrists. Might want to even try turning the throttle with only your index and thumb wrapped around it and practice throttle control.

Then turn using more of your lower body to put pressure in the direction of the way you want to turn. Maintain smooth throttle control and keep light on the bars only using your hands to guide the lean.

Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichris View Post
Welcome

I like left turns better than rights as well. You will get better with saddle time. The best thing you could do is enroll in a MSF class or something similar in your area.
Ditto!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Congatulations on the new bike and welcome to the forum. One very important thing to remember about turns is to look ahead in the direction of the turn. Where your head looks the body and in this case the bike will naturaly follow. Safe riding to ya.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Head Janitor

Congrats on the new bike!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Advice from one noob to another! I have been riding for about a month. Practice this on a straight. As youre just cruising, press down on each handlebar, youll feel the bike respond VERY easily. As I turn I make sure to give light pressure on that leading handlebar. Also, it's hard at first, but look ahead as you are turning. Look where you are going, not down or anywhere else. Your body (and the bike) will follow your head.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM

That's one of the skills they teach in our Motorcycle Training Course and it really comes in handy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Welcome!!
Every rider has bigger "chicken strips" on one side of the tire.
Just for giggles, I would have the bike looked over by a tech since it has been down.
(You never know, it might have a bad fork seal, making turns harder. It's just a good idea to make sure you bike is sound.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement