Oil leaking after drop - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Oil leaking after drop

Hi all..

This is my first time posting here. I recently purchased a used 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 [two weeks ago] and have been practicing on it around the neighborhood (Woodbridge, VA) every night. I Love it!!!

Yesterday when I was trying to park it in the garage I dropped it on the ground [on it's right side where the rear brake is]. Since the bike was off there was little or no damage to the body. As I lift it up I noticed that there was some oil [or may be gasoline] that came out of it. I wiped it off and left.

This morning when I went to my garage I noticed very strong gasoline smell. I saw some gasoline/oil in the area around the the bike too. Since then I am not able to turn the bike on. When I try to turn the bike ON, bike tries but doesn't start. I looked inside the gas tank and there is plenty of gasoline in there.

I also noticed that there were three cables hanging out of the bike. Since this is my first bike, I have no clue what these cables are for. I am guessing that these cables are for oil and dropping the bike may have unfastened them. I am attaching a picture of these cables. I want to take it to a motorcycle shop but do not have a truck or a trailer to haul it to. I may have to rent one eventually but before then I would like to see if anyone in this forum knows anything about these cables.

Any thoughts on these cables, or advice on what I should do would be awesome and greatly appreciated.
-Waji
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00004.JPG (36.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00005.JPG (39.0 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 AM

The lines you have outlined in the photos are breather/vent lines for the fuel tank and carburetors. They should be routed behind the engine but are not the cause of your problem...

Your carbs may have flooded when the bike tipped over and this is probably why the fuel ended up on the floor under the bike... It should start up but you may have to do a couple of things first..

First make sure your fuel shut off valve is in the on position.. Next open and then close the fuel tank filler cap to relieve any possibility of vacuum pressure condition in the tank.. Finally try to start the bike.. Open the choke all the way and push the start button until it starts... It's not really recommended to hold it down continuously as this can damage the starter but rather in 10 second bursts or so until it starts.

If your battery becomes week you may need to jump start with another battery.. A car battery will do and it is the same process as jumping from car to car...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response

Thank you, Freakdawg, for your response. I tried those troubleshooting steps but it still won't start. One thing that i did notice is that my oil sight screen is cracked now and I am pretty sure that the oil is coming from there.

Do you know how much it will cost me approximately? If not... its OK as I have already called a towing company to haul it to a local motorcycle dealer. Hopefully it is not going to cost me a fortune. Will update this thread as soon as I get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM

The oil sight glass breaking seems like a common issue with the 250's after dropping.

Here's a DIY on how to fix it: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...sight_glass%3F

Looks like part number 52005, maybe only $10. Not sure on labor costs though if a shop replaces it.

If you replace that yourself make sure you follow the steps in that DIY and clean it out thoroughly. Then change it out with fresh oil.

And the carbs probably flooded so might want to try turning the bike on with choke off but opening the throttle all the way.

The shop should be able to get it sorted out for you. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Cost of Sight screen

Just FYI,
That sight screen replacement cost me approx. $150.00. The sight screen itself was only $15 but the labor, 1.5 hours and a mandatory oil change drove the price up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Those rats

Glad you got it fixed. Have you checked and made sure there's no more oil leaking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement