Buying a used ninja 250 2012 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Buying a used ninja 250 2012

I was looking at the ninja 300 but decided it cost way to much for a first bike, I found a ninja 250r with a carbon fiber exhaust and a fresh white paint job, he's asking 3850, I was gunna blue book it and see what I should be paying,

My concerns are if the rims are bent cause I don't want the handle bar shaking at around 75-80 because I will be doing mass freeway transit,

I was concerned about the carbs at first and I just wana know what to look out for when buying this motorcycle used, not going till Tuesday and any info would be much appreciated

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nol-Dogg View Post
.... I just wana know what to look out for when buying this motorcycle used,
https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2770
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

The Kelly blue book price for suggested retail is 3600, and the trade in value was 2500, so 3 grand sounds fair?? Maybe 3200 if excellent condition??

How do I make sure the title is clean??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM

The title would either say salvage our rebuilt if it has been in an accident or what not... If it don't say that, then it's a clean title.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

It was too real, ninja 250r 2012 looked so nice, picking it up tomarrow if the day goes good, I'm stokedImageUploadedByMO Free1367208209.897019.jpg

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Well I did it!! I'm a proud owner of a ninja 250r

Couple questions I'm going to change the oil and check some fluids tomarrow,

1) the shifter looks a little bent inwards, if I remove it and put it in the vice grips to bend it a little, is that okay?

2) the gas gauge says empty, but at the pump after removing the gas cap the tank looks full, is that a easy fix?

Any and all responses would be awesome, I'm really into the forumImageUploadedByMO Free1367303573.983902.jpg

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 AM

1) the shifter looks a little bent inwards, if I remove it and put it in the vice grips to bend it a little, is that okay?

Easy to do. Just make a mark where the shifter come off at. The metal is soft so go easy.

2) the gas gauge says empty, but at the pump after removing the gas cap the tank looks full, is that a easy fix?

Remove the right black side panel, you should be able to see a single wire connected to the bottom of the tank, make sure it's connected.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

I'm doing the oil, next I'm going to flush the coolant, how much vinegar should I add to the distilled water for the flush?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nol-Dogg View Post
I'm doing the oil, next I'm going to flush the coolant, how much vinegar should I add to the distilled water for the flush?

Why are you changing the coolant so soon? Is there something wrong with the coolant in there now? The stock coolant in the radiator is good for at least 3 years, however the coolant in the reservoir should be changed.

Who told you to use vinegar to flush the coolant system? Vinegar is acidic and not recommended. Simple clean water will work fine unless the coolant system is badly scaled with lime, then a coolant flush that will not harm aluminum is recommended. Being that your bike is less than 3 years old I doubt that is the case.

I change my coolant in Dec. @ 3 years 10 months and under 24k miles.
When I checked the specific gravity (boiling and freezing points), they were still pretty good.

I used Prestone 50/50 Ready-to-Use Prediluted Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant that I had left over from my cars.
It's phosphate, silicate, and borate free and says it protects aluminum and all other engine metals and provide extended mileage or up to 5 years of protection.

This coolant is very light colored (yellowish) compared to the dark green OEM stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OEM_Prestone Coolant.JPG (10.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by DaBlue1; 04-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

The guy at cycle center said to use vinegar and distilled water, fire it up then drain and add good coolant.

The guy that owned it before me never had it serviced, the reserve tank you can see threw the fairing looks complete empty, I bought engine ice to put in there, just finished my first oil change bout to fire it up!!

Thought I would flush it, he said the engine heat gauge would rise then settle then u can flush the water, how long should I leave it on?ImageUploadedByMO Free1367352528.839583.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement