Buying a Used 250 From a Dealer - Pricing Questions [California] - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Buying a Used 250 From a Dealer - Pricing Questions [California]

I am a new, aspiring rider and have been seriously looking into purchasing a Ninja 250 for my first bike. I will probably be going the used route for my first bike so that I don't cry myself to sleep after my first drop.

I've been browsing Craigslist and Dealer adds over the last few weeks to start getting an idea of what kind of prices I will be looking at, keeping my eye out for especially good deals. I have never bought anything from a dealership before, and am curious as to how much I can work with them over the price. Some adds seem to list these bikes far over what I feel they should be listed at, and I have also noticed rather large pricing variations from dealership to dealership. I am not necessarily considering buying either of these bikes, but have been noticing similar tactics used by dealerships, and am simply looking for some input from more experienced buyers/riders.

For example, these two bikes are currently BOTH listed for sale at the same dealership for the SAME PRICE. These two bikes are different model years, and have approximately a 2-3k mileage difference between the two bikes. Is it normal to see these two bikes listed for the same price? Are they actually worth the same amount? How much could I expect to talk a dealer down on a bike like this?

Example 1: 2009 250r - Miles: roughly 3k - Asking Price $3998

Bike 2: 2012 250r - 932 Miles - Asking Price $3998

Why are these two bikes that are 3 model years apart, and 2k miles apart listed for the same price? What do you feel these bikes are worth? How much can a dealer be talked down? Why do dealerships use strategies like this when selling bikes? I noticed that the 2009 has an aftermarket exhaust, but my gut tells me that this does not make it worth the same asking price as a bike 3 model years newer with 2k+ less miles.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Nyborg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 AM

That's about the same price as brand new! The special edition two tone one is usually about $500 more. The one with 3k miles looks like it might have some mods, but from what I can see its just got a slip on exhaust. Hmm.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. These prices are nearly as much as a brand new bike that has never touched the road (granted the 2012 has less then 1k miles). I simply don't understand why these two bikes are priced the same, and have seen similar pricing at more then one dealership on bikes that seem as they should not necessarily be sharing a price tag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Use these tips in helping you purchase a bike. https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2770

Good Luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 PM

Both bikes are way overpriced. I paid only $2,999. for my 2012 Ninja NEW with 2 miles on the meter.

What dealer are these bikes at?

Also remember in general a dealer is the worst place to buy used bikes, at least as far as price is concerned. Now, IF the dealer offers a GOOD warranty on a used bike (pretty rare really) then the price might be justified. If the dealer sells the bikes at those kinds of prices AS-IS, with no warranty at all, then it is not worth it.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM

The 2012 is the right price it actually blue books and $4,000. But the other it's usually about $2,700

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement