Why a 250? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
tek

Why a 250?

A lot of people ask me this and its usually followed by "you could have gotten a ZX10r, CBR or R1 for $####" Ironically most of these people had 600's for a first bike and trashed them within a year. My reasons are; I got it brand new for $3600, opposed to $8-12k for a new or decent like new SS. My insurance is $30 a month, $336+ a month for an SS. I wanted to live past 25. I admit, I get carried away when it comes to speed. The last thing I needed was to be on a machine that goes 150+ mph in 10 seconds, when I had NO riding experience. I don't regret getting a 250 and I plan on keeping it for a while.

What are your reasons for getting a 250?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM

B/c I had no riding experience prior to the 125cc kawasaki eliminator at the msf class but I do plan on upgrading to a 650 though

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Pretty much same reasons as you guys. No riding experience other than the msf class. I didn't want to get in over my head and buy something that I had trouble controlling. The price point for the 250 was perfect. Another other big reason that I decided on the 250 is the awesome mpg it gets. In contrast to your comment Tek, no one I have talked to has disagreed with my decision to get a 250. I also plan on keeping it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 PM

The price for one thing. I didn't want to drop big bucks on my first motorcycle

I was fairly confident in my riding ability haven driven a street legal 80cc scooter since I was 15, along with dirtbikes and fourwheelers, but I knew that I needed to limit myself in terms of speed and power. I'd heard tons of good things about the Ninja 250's, and started to do my research on motorcycles in general. After quite a bit of research, I was sold on the Ninja 250. I, for one, like the classic body style of the 88-07's. It was faster than most 250's, meaning to me that it would be more comfortable at highway speeds. It does great on gas for trips, and it's incredibly easy to work on.

This is "the bike" to me right now. As of the past few years, including right now, I don't want another bike or have another dream bike in mind because I feel like I already own it. Now, that may change in the future, but it's a good feeling right now.

This little bike can do it all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM

well said tad my upgrade wont happen for awhile as I'm in the process of upgrading my bike next getting a slip on (which ill get next week)probably grips rear sets idk just thinking

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
tek

Yeah, I eventually want to get a 600. But its not going to happen for a while. I plan on getting some track time with my 250, hopefully. it just sucks that I have to go all the way to California to do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek View Post
....What are your reasons for getting a 250?

Mainly to keep me from getting tickets for going too damn fast.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM

I've never rode a motorcycle, ever, but always wanted to learn. I ended up going to a dealership and browsed around. All my friends who have been riding for some time now all own 600cc or bigger. So that's what I was looking at, but after some research and a talk with a salesman, I went with the 250. Price was in my range, and the size seemed perfect for me. I'm not a very big guy, about 5'6" and 130lbs. So I left the dealership with the keys in my hand. I had a friend ride it home since I did not how to ride.

I purchased the bike in February of last year. During the 14 months I've had it, I've racked nearly 19k miles on it. I ride just about everyday, and absolutely love the bike. I do all the maintainance on it myself. Thanks to this forum and the information obtained from other 250 owners, I was able to complete these services successfully and confidently.

I do not regret buying this bike one bit. Although I am ready to upgrade to bigger bike, I do not see myself selling or trading it in. I tend to impress my riding buddies with my ability to handle the bike so well. I even have a friend who just recently bought an 07' ZX6R, and he is always asking me for riding tips as I have much more experience on the road and on turns.

I love my 250. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Last edited by AZninja2012; 04-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Hey AZ...

I completely agree with you. Alot of my friends have 600's and a few 1000's but i havent let them influence me into upgrading yet from my 2012 Ninja 250. I bought it in December and I have 1200k miles on it. I usually ride during the weekend but I'm also a first time rider. Sometimes ridding in groups can be intimidating especially if your the only 250 around .

But I'm going at my pace.. I"m learing fast.. getting use to how to ride through turns at higher speeds etc. I ride with about 8-10 guys in the Chandler Area and we usually ride through Scottsdale on Friday nights and take the 202 and 101 for fun. We open it up on the highway. Although the fastest i've been is 90 miles hour.. I'm good with that for now..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Lol, yes, riding in large groups and being on the smallest bike is an intimidating feeling, but I simply enjoy riding. Sure, I struggle to keep up on the straights, but the ninjette is untouchable on the sweepers. South mountain and Bartlett lake are pretty fun rides.. I wanna hit Mt Lemmon soon as well as making a few long rides with some friends. Once you've got the cornering down and are very familiar with your limits and your bike's, you can have so much fun. It's a great feeling, too, when you fly past your friends on bigger bikes on those kinds of rides. I have a few videos up on YouTube, I'll post some links. I mount a GoPro to my front cowl on the fun rides. Fastest I got my bike to is just over 105.

It's best to go at your own pace. "Ride your own ride." I rode by myself for quite a while and although pointers are good to have, you still have to ride for the experience and the feel.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Last edited by AZninja2012; 04-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement