I have this fear still...... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Cool I have this fear still......

Ok, I go out riding tonight, it is dark out already(still on a learners permit, can't ride after dusk), but it was the only time I could as my husband does not get off work until 7:30 and it is getting dark earlier now. We only rode for about 45 minutes, just in the neighborhood at my in-laws house.(we keep our bikes there until we are comfortable and learn more driving to our house which is on some crazy mountain roads.

My fear whether daytime or night is cars behind me. If I see a car approaching behind me, I am maintaining my cool, but not all drivers of cars are considerate. I had some idiot on my a%% in a 25 mph zone. I was doing 25 mph. Have any of you had that fear when you were new riders? My other fear is stalling out in the middle of traffic while shifting gears. I had that happen at a stop sign tonight. I stalled out 2 x, but I did not panic

I am now getting more comfortable with shifting. I bought better boots as my other new ones were Milwaukie's and they were too bulky for me. I bought "VEGAS", they were inexpensive, yet thew most comfortable boots I have ever had on my feet.

Thanks for reading...have a great week...!

Last edited by Platinum_blonde38; 09-11-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:59 AM

To prevent from stalling at stop lights, a trick I use is to open up the clutch just before the friction zone rather than closing the clutch all the way while using your foot brake. This will allow you to mix the throttle in quicker. This also helps when you are stopped uphill. Once you start moving, I'm pretty sure you won't stall when you shift gears. You will get a good jerk though if you open the clutch too fast.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 AM

The only problem with that is it's not a basic skill for a new rider to learn, and odds are they'll stall more trying to find the right spot to hold the clutch (until they get it, then it'll work, but so will getting use to pulling it all the way in too). Another option that's easier for a new rider to get use to is to give the throttle a little more gas than they should. I'm not talking wide open throttle, just rev it a little higher as they let the clutch lever out.

As for up-hills, use the rear brake to hold yourself in place on the hill, then as you let the clutch out/gas it (extra gas since you're going up hill), lighten up on the rear brake. This'll allow you to still have one foot on the ground as you take off (provided you stayed in first gear when you stopped). It doesn't take a lot of force on the rear brake to hold the bike there, so when you start going, the engine will overpower the brake as you release it slowly. Technically you'll be gassing and braking at the same time to the rear, but it's better than rolling backwards and dropping the bike or hitting a car behind you.

This is the most comfortable 'technique' for me.

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM

I'm also a first time rider and the "trick" I was referring to wasn't that hard to learn IMHO. But I agree that your suggestion is the safer and easier out of the two. Don't worry Platinum, in time you will learn how your bike responds and things will just come second nature.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Ya'all are too quiet tonight..lol
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum_blonde38 View Post
Ya'all are too quiet tonight..lol
busy gettin' jiggy with it.

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Post I think we all have a fear...

When you slow to a stop, you should shift down to first before coming to a complete stop. If someone is coming from behind and doesn't see you while stopped, you have a quick getaway. My eyes are always moving and looking everywhere, including the traffic coming from behind while I'm stopped.

I practiced stopping and starting in an empty parking lot wearing hiking boots. Being 5'2" with a 27" inseam, my bike stands over 29" and I tip toe it. I then bought a cheap pair of riding boots to hit the streets. I now wear Sidi boots, but I can't put as much foot on the ground. No need when you're more comfortable with shifting, bike weight, starting and stopping.

This link has some great practice exercises and helped me out tremendously. I even bought some inexpensive cones that were low to the ground to practice with. (Kmart, bicycle & skate department)

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...es_can_I_do%3F

My fear: I had a car come over a center divider line on a canyon road during one of my first rides. I got to the point where I HAD to look at every oncoming car, looking away from my intended path of travel. I got over that after a few weeks riding in a group setting, but this was a bad habit especially in turns. The bike goes where you are looking ahead.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Cars in canyons going the opposite direction often spook many riders, even experienced ones. What works for me (if I remember to do it lol) is to EXPECT a car to come around every curve. If you expect it, as in... really think you're going to see a car... then when one does come, it's not a surprise at all. It gets a little tough when you don't see one at all for a while, chances are you'll get comfortable and stop expecting it. It takes solid consciousness and awareness to keep it going. Even I stop doing it eventually sometimes.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Ok, I go out riding tonight, it is dark out already(still on a learners permit, can't ride after dusk), but it was the only time I could as my husband does not get off work until 7:30 and it is getting dark earlier now. We only rode for about 45 minutes, just in the neighborhood at my in-laws house.(we keep our bikes there until we are comfortable and learn more driving to our house which is on some crazy mountain roads.

My fear whether daytime or night is cars behind me. If I see a car approaching behind me, I am maintaining my cool, but not all drivers of cars are considerate. I had some idiot on my a%% in a 25 mph zone. I was doing 25 mph. Have any of you had that fear when you were new riders? My other fear is stalling out in the middle of traffic while shifting gears. I had that happen at a stop sign tonight. I stalled out 2 x, but I did not panic

I am now getting more comfortable with shifting. I bought better boots as my other new ones were Milwaukie's and they were too bulky for me. I bought "VEGAS", they were inexpensive, yet thew most comfortable boots I have ever had on my feet.

The fear of cars behind you is one of those things you'll have to get used to. If a motorist is making you uncomfortable and all up in your business you can always pull over and let them pass... No point in holding up an inconsiderate idiot...

Personally though I generally pay way more attention to the road ahead of me as there are so many variables and possibilities for something to happen in front of me then there are out back...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:

You lost me at "husband...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement