Ninja low end torque question - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Ninja low end torque question

Hey guys...a quick question for u. Bought my wife a new CBR 250R a few months back. It's a great bike with awesome low end torque.

I'd like to get the 2012 ninja 250 for myself. Wondering if any of you can give me some feedback on the low end torque of the current generation ninjas before hit the dealer up for a test ride?

I owned a third gen ninja and remember the low end torque almost being non existent...basically had to get the revs up pretty far.

What's your experience with the current generation? From what I've read Kawasaki did a lot of work on the current ninjas, and the low end torque is supposed to be pretty good.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Please be honest...I know us ninja owners can be pretty loyal to our brand and bike, but really just need true experience feedback.

Starting from a stop...city driving, etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM

I have an '07 (older, 88-07, genderation), but I've read that the difference between them and the 08+ is the low end torque. The 88-07's have a higher top speed, but the newer 250r's have better low end torque. Can't tell you from experience what it's like, but I can factually tell you that you should see a difference

You could always go test drive one, also

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thnx for the feedback Tadster. That is helpful.
I will def plan on a test ride before buying.

I had heard that the 2008-12 had a bit more low end torque than the 2007 and below. Did they sacrifice some of that top end speed to redesign the engine for the 2008-12?

I'm somewhat holding off purchasing the 2012 for a bit longer until Kawasaki has their big Ninja show off next week. I've heard good things about the 2013 250.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 PM

18-lbs of torque at high RPMs is questionable as far as performance goes.
My 250 isn't broken in yet, rarely taken it above 9,000 rpm and not even onto the freeways yet.
However, report is that it is possible to make tiny wheelies in second gear.

You're not going to see power, torque, or top speed from any 250 (injected or not).
I switch off between the 250, Z1000 (952cc inline 4), and the Shiver (750 V-twin).
On any big bike you realize the power without having to wring the throttle and get yourself into trouble a whole lot quicker.

Also, the 250 is only 300-pounds or so. The light and nimble will get the better of heavy sluggish Harleys. I banged up a Harley last week on my way home from work and put him to shame. So much for American power.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM

apparently the '13 250r may actually be a 300cc bike instead. I'm all for that if it is

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM

I have the 12. Its not bad in city driving. It'll take off pretty quick. The 13 looks like a new machine. I'd wait and get it for sure. I wanna sell mine for the 13

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thnx robert13. Do u have decent torque right from a stop in low rev range? Or do u find u have to get the rpms up a ways first? My wife's cbr has pretty good torque down in the low rpms.
I'm digging the 2013. If they release the 300 in the US I'm getting it for sure.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:51 PM

From a stop I never ride in low rpms I usually take off and fly through the gears. I do tend to ride around 5k when I cruise. If I drop any lower it really.drags and takes forever to accelerate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

How about slow speed maneuvering? Is the torque adequate for that or do u find u have to keep the revs pretty high for that also?
Say, if you were doing some of the msf drills...would it be difficult on the ninja?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Hey Davie, not sure if you've heard but the ninja 300 is on its way. It's on the top of my list.

Later,

Cracker7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement