Very slow turn help - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Very slow turn help

So I am looking for some help with a problem I seem to be having a lot. At work I park in the corner of the driveway looking towards the curb so when I have to leave I have to make a very slow 360 turn which I always have a problem. I'm good almost all the way I look through the turn and everything. The problem I have is almost all the way at the end where the curb on the other side just appears a little to far out and I can't make it and have to stop. The problem is then I always seem to panic a little and stumble to get my foot off the peg and the bike seems to start to go over a little bit. Its not like I am going to dump the bike over but I do have to catch myself almost every time. I try and practice this every time I leave work. Btw I have been ridding a little over a month and have 2000 miles under my belt on my ninja 250. What do you guys suggest I do? I always feel like a moron and feel three feet tall because I always do it infront of the guys I work with. I feel dumbbell. What do you guys suggest I try?

Josh

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Clutch, throttle and rear brake control are important when doing slow maneuvers. If you are able to, take a MSF or similar motorcycle course, watch videos and read as much as you can about riding skills and technique. It will help a lot.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:43 PM

You're missing just one critical piece... counter-weighting.

In low-speed turns, if you fail to counter-weight, you will tend to fall into the turn... You're doing everything right... just remember to put your weight on your outside foot... the foot on the right peg if turning left... the foot on the left peg if turning right... The inside foot should be barely touching the inside peg to steady yourself... If you add this one component to your slow turns, you'll nail them every time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkwest250r View Post
You're missing just one critical piece... counter-weighting.

In low-speed turns, if you fail to counter-weight, you will tend to fall into the turn... You're doing everything right... just remember to put your weight on your outside foot... the foot on the right peg if turning left... the foot on the left peg if turning right... The inside foot should be barely touching the inside peg to steady yourself... If you add this one component to your slow turns, you'll nail them every time!
Wow thanks man that makes complete sense. I always read that you should like lean the bike and not yourself when making very slow turns but this makes it alot easier to imagine. Thank you im going to try that tomorrow. Ill be at work again tomorrow i have to try that now lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters202 View Post
Wow thanks man that makes complete sense. I always read that you should like lean the bike and not yourself when making very slow turns but this makes it alot easier to imagine. Thank you im going to try that tomorrow. Ill be at work again tomorrow i have to try that now lol
I'll look forward to hearing how it goes... as a new rider who just completed the BRC, a lot of these techniques are directly in my line of sight... I wish you the best!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Any new news?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Yours Truly,
NefRider!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Hi, Im new to this and im just reading a few of the posts and i seen yours and thought i put forward the technique i was thought find the biting point with the clutch and the throttle to get you moving you control the bike with the rear brake if you keep the revs high the bike wont go over because the power makes the bike stay upright if you keep the revs low the bike will end up on the ground

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement