Getting a bike before college, good or bad idea? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Getting a bike before college, good or bad idea?

Hi, I'm a fresh graduate from highschool, and heading to a college 2 hours away.

Now, I'm planning to purchase the kawasaki 250 ninja, Used. With money saved from 4 years of odd jobs I'm willing to spend about $1,300-2,000 on a bike. Ive (seperately) factored in licensing, gear (level 3),and insurance. And still beats any rust bucket of a car with more problems than a hollywood popstar.

But...This is upstate and the cold months will shut down my bike, (storage with some family near by). Eventhough ill be stuck, it makes no difference if i just didnt buy it in the first place, and i can take the bus. Not too concerned but Another bad thing is that my parents will go ape, espcially since they are in the medical field. Regardless, I have a passion for almost anything with a motor, I also used to road bike until I outgrew my bike stopped cycling since my dad had to quit (back problems).

So I'd love to ride, not for chick apeal (ill take it tho), just to ride.

So is it a good idea? I think so, no rush to a car, Ill have a boat load of time to carb clean and maitnance, ill have my cousins help,(and supplies like tools, garage) and he owns a 600 ninja and is 20mins away from campus.

Any thoughts?

(Sorry for typos)
Thanks for reading

-"Leising"

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 AM

I think it's a good idea. After I graduated from high school, the first thing I did was buy a small pickup and then this past November I bought my '07 250. I'm glad I did it in that order. It's a huge blessing to have the two vehicles instead of just a bike or just a car/truck. If I were you, I would definitely continue to save and get a car as soon as you (comfortably due to spending) can. I'll be a senior in college so I know how the college life is lol.

Since you'll have a fuel efficient bike, it won't matter if you buy a car that gets 8mpg since it'll be such a rarity when you drive it. But it's still nice to have, especially during those cold and rainy days. Sounds like you've got it figured out though. I say go for it! My parents were against it too, but I don't ride stupidly and I ride defensively so they're cool with it now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, also how did you take care of storage on campus?

My grandpa sold me his chevy HHR as my grad present bc he knew id take car of it...which was insanely nice of him (he wants a new car).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM

For storing it, just buy a cover ($25 at Walmart, pretty much the same everywhere else) and keep it covered every night. If you want you can also get a lock or an alarm system. Some lock either the front or back wheel to prevent someone from somehow hotwiring the back and stealing it. You could also figure out a way to chain it to something

The dorms where I go to school are gated(converted from an apartment complex), so I just have a cover and nobody messes with it. I live in a house now and keep it in the garage.

It's really up to you, but if you were to do ALL of the things I said, you wouldn't spend more than $50

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, sounds like its worth it and should decrease my insurance rate when i get it >>> $550 with progressive.

Thanks ^^^^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement