Brand new rider considering a 250 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Brand new rider considering a 250

Hey guys, I just registered here and thought I'd put the question to your collective knowledge. My question is this: Will I out grow a 250 quickly? To aid in that answer a bit about myself...

I'm a brand new rider, getting my permit on thursday, and taking the MSF course within the next month (just need to get a weekend off). I rode my friends dirt bikes as a kid but haven't been on something with two wheels and en engine in 15 years or so. I recently bought a bicycle and have been riding that daily to run errands, for fun yes, but mostly to experience the exposure to traffic, two wheels, and the kind of awareness it requires as it seems most drivers have a blind stop for bikes regardless of your posisiton relative to the car... I should also mention I'm 28, married, have been driving a manual since I got my license at 16, and am a licensed pilot. While the oepration of a plane has nearly zero corrolation to bikes the mindset is the same I would think. Keep ahead of the machine I'm operating and ALWAYS stay within my limits as its easy to become a smoking crater, or in this case a red stain on the pavement.

I'm being steered towards an sv650 by several of my friends as they ride them and love them. While I plan to own an SV at some point I wonder if I'd be better served with a 250 for now. I like the idea of getting a bike for less than two grand that I can lay down without shedding many tears and can hone my riding skills on before moving to something with more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM

I have a ZX-6R but i dont ride it very often. I am always riding my 250R everywhere I go. To answer your question, depends on who you are. I love both of my bikes but my 250R is my favorite.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM

I'd definitely encourage everybody to start on something smaller than a 600. Not a bad bike to start on, but the 250 kicks it's butt in terms of how safe it is. It's much more forgiving with the clutch, it's light and nimble, and allows you to experience a motorcycle for what it is without giving you a great sense of danger.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Best advice I could give to a bigginer is dont rely on your breaks as much as finding a way out. Understand? You can manouver *sp better then you can stop.. to me anyways but 250's are great for the city
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM

I'm brand new to riding. MSF course and 400 miles on my 2012 250r. I asked the same question about outgrowing it too quickly. After about 100 miles I thought I made a mistake. However, all I have gained is confidence that I can ride on two wheels. It doesn't mean I have the skills to move up yet. I'm going to take my time and hone my skills and maybe after about 10k miles consider a 650. I'm 37, married with two kids, 6', 240lbs and the 250 works fine for me. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Yup similar here new rider got over 500 miles I have done just about every road on it other than I-95. I'm still learning but the 250 is a great bike its not a burner its a learner. The wind will push you around and people drive nuts. As soon as you get licenced any store will let u test drive. It's what's comfortable for you. A 600 way too fast to start. Ninja 650 TOPS

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySpec View Post
Best advice I could give to a bigginer is dont rely on your breaks as much as finding a way out. Understand? You can manouver *sp better then you can stop.. to me anyways but 250's are great for the city
Don't listen to this, by itself it is bad advice. You can't always maneuver out of trouble. Since you are a pilot, I am sure that you know that the situation dictates how to respond.

Unless you are looking to drive at crazy speeds, you will love your 250 from day one. And if you ever do want a bigger bike, you probably won't get rid of the 250. And no, you won't ever "outgrow" the 250.

Last edited by jcgss77; 06-07-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement