Congrats on the purchase. Hope all has been well since you've posted here! I've answered your questions to provide some help/advice! Enjoy the learning ... Since it never stops.
1. Should I have the bike serviced ASAP? - Yes!
2. Are there any little things I can look for that would be potential "warning signs" aka things I may have to get fixed soon? - tires being worn out or over used in the upright position. (ie: low threads, flat center) scrapped foot pegs, chain/chain slack, sprocket teeth just to name a few. I, definitely change the oil n filter.
3. Do I need to have the bike inspected? Some friends say yes, some friends say no it doesnt matter.
- I saw if you want a clean bill of Health for your moto, Yes. Us you'd be legal!
4. How often do oil changes need to be done? - every 2-3k or 2 months or by the end of the riding season depending on your riding style and environment.
5. Are there any easy-to-install mods that you would recommend right off the bat? - Fender eliminator, wind shield, rear spools
6. What else does a new rider need to know about the 250 in general? - Like with any bike, learn it's soul, the rest will come naturally.
Hope this helps.
Sent w/my iPhone using MO Free!