Completely new rider - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Completely new rider

Hello! I just started riding. In fact, I've only gotten to practice one time so far. I am going to take a BRC, but I'm thinking that I should practice in parking lots for a few weeks before I jump into the class.

I didn't have any problems getting the bike to move (I didn't stall it). But, I am so new that even taking my feet off the ground was scary. Did it!

I dropped the bike when I attempted my first turn. But, got back on and was able to ride in circles around the parking lot (only in first gear) by the end of the first day...

I'm thinking I need to get used to shifting into at least 2nd or 3rd gear and practice braking before I take the BRC class.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get more comfortable with riding?

Thanks! Excited to learn...just a little nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 AM

welcome to the club, lol I'm a new rider myself. I just got my bike in February and I just took my beginners class this past weekend. I think that will help more than anything.

Just a few things I've picked up and dealing with as I'm learning also.

The clutch - they taught us about clutch control. I was always taught from driving a stick that you can't ride a clutch cuz you'll burn it up. So I tried to get the bike going quick, but I learned that a motorcycle has what is called a wet clutch and you can't burn it up like a stick shift. They had us move the bike with clutch control like the first half of the day, on and off the clutch, moving the bike slow.

I rode in the parking lot also and moved to side streets. Practicing the shifting and braking and stopping before I moved out into traffic.

Make sure you are in 1st gear when you come to a stop light or stop sign. Since I just found out about clutch control, I am letting the cluctch out while I am sitting there till I feel just a lil movement, then when the light turns or the intersection is clear I can roll on the throttle and ease on out on my clutch because it is at the point of engaging anyways (they call that the friction point).

Anyways, I'm sure not an expert and just learning myself. But those are a couple things that would have been nice to know instead of learning the hard way. hope it helps.

O, one more thing, mentally prepare yourself for wind and wind gusts. Totally was not on my mind when I moved up to riding a main road and I got a wind gusy and it just freaked me out. But everything I've tried to study on it and even from the class is just keep riding and we are supposed to get used to it, lol.

Congrats on your bike, hope something i said helped
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM

Happy trails....I recently started riding myself, every day its not rainy. I eventually want to take a MSC bit so far I'm self taught and things are going great.

Started riding on 3/27/2012
Currently own Kawi 250R 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM

definitely take the MSF course. It will help you so much. I would honestly suggest that if you've NEVER ridden ever to take that before riding your bike. Then when you're finished, practice the things you learned on your own bike. I wish I would've done that, and would do it that way if I could do it over again

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

O my goodness!! Thank you so much! Everett71, that DID help a lot! Burning out a clutch is the LEAST of my concerns right now..LOL. (I'm currently just trying to stay upright on the bike! Haha) But, all of that is good info! That will definitely help me!

I will take the class ASAP! Thanks everyone!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM

I never road a bike before taking the BRC. But I knew how to drive stick shift in my car, so I got the concept of a manual transmission. As a girl, I'm too short for my bike, so I had to lower it. Which made it more comfortable for me to ride. The BRC will be your new best friend. And no, you dont new to practice before taking the class, but to show up all the men that will be there, practice will be good!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Angel! I did shift into 2nd! Which was exciting and a lot easier than I thought! Knowing how to drive a stick shift car really helps with that. One less concept to learn.

I have decided to take the course before I head out again. I can't wait to get started with it! I'm really glad to hear that they'll help newbies like me! I'm hoping it will make me more confident.

Thanks everyone! I love to read this forum and learn everyone's experiences learning to ride!

Started riding 4-15-2012.
2012 Kawasaki 250r
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM

hey! i just took the msf course and for beginners it is a big help, i've ridden dirt bikes for 3 years so it was a little boring for me but some parts were still helpful.

Also i completely agree check the wind before you go out to ride for the first few times if it is over 15 mph i wouldn't go out, i almost wrecked my first time out cause it was blowing 24 and i couldn't keep the bike in a straight path.

anyway good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement