Shifting Question - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Shifting Question

We have 6 gears. If I understand the book right, we are supposed to go through them quick right?

I was wondering today, what if 6th gear is like OverDrive (OD) in a car?

Doing city driving between lights and stops signs I can go through all 6 gears but doing the speed limit (at 30-35), seems a little to much for 6th.

So I guess my question is the one above, plus if that's true, then it would be ok to do cruising in 5th.

Of course it is fun to kick it down to 5th and blow by!! (LOL)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I used to do the same by putting it into 6th around 35 or so, but any lower than that and it sputters a little. I usually keep it in 5th until I get to around 45mph, unless I'm going a consistent 40, then I'll just go ahead and kick it into 6th

Although, when I've just come from an intersection and am merging onto the highway, I usually get into 6th around 50mph and all shifts are done around 6-7 thousand rpm's. It all seems natural for the bike and accelerates really well

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

cool, that's what I've been doing to. Well it's sorta been like a trial and error thing, listening to the motor wind out with what I've been used to driving a stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM

exactly. I think that's part of the first bike experience

trial and error to find out what your bike likes and what you feel comfortable with

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM

almost the exact same thing for me I shift up if i'm cruising at 40 and above and shift down at 40 if i wanna accelerate to 60 real fast or something
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Shift down to go faster? I feel like I go slow for some reason. My biggest issue is downshifting, I have no issueif I know I'm coming to a stop. But stop and go situations I pull the clutch and apply both breaks and just push the gears down as I'm slowing but don't release the clutch unless traffic starts moving again.is this the correct thing to do?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 AM

shift down to accelerate more quickly. If you're in 6th and going 40, shifting down to 5th will get you to 50mph much quicker and then you can shift up again. Same goes for all gears

yes, holding in the clutch and leaving the bike in 1st at a stop is the correct thing to do. The only time I put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out at a stop is to clean/adjust my visor or mess with something on my tank bag. If everything's good, I'm in 1st with the clutch pulled and breaks applied

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the tip appreciated

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 PM

I go with roughly 15mph per gear and shift between 7-9k. I simply like using each gear to the fullest. I find around 8k is where the engine feels at it's peak without overdoing it.

0-15mph 1st gear
16-30mph 2nd gear
31-45mph 4rd gear
46-60mph 5th gear
61+mph 6th gear
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:42 PM

I'm going to try your method and see if that helps my speed some also. I try going br the book and it just seems too fast to shift. They have you in 6th at 35-40 mph...seems odd

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement