New Rider - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

New Rider

Hey Guys, New rider here.. Have a 250 r and just got lowering links put on (i'm only 5,2) and its a great height. I took the motorcycle safety program, got my license, ext. And now I just have to go get my motorcycle from the shop, as its been ready for weeks. The shop is only 2 minutes away from my home, yet I still can't bring myself to go get it and ride it home. Just that fear of being on the road that I know I have to get over, but I was wondering if you guys had any advice for first time riding? What helped you keep calm and level headed (as could be that is). Anything is helpful and I appreciate it Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 AM

Hey Lauren,

Congrats in the new bike. Is there anyone you know that has experience that could make ride it home for you and than ride it to a parking lot where you can practice? Or someone with a truck? It's tough to get over the fear initially but you will trust me. Oh I also recommend you don't lower it. I know you're short but lower the bike takes away from the handling ability of the bike. You can do things like where full racing boots or shave the seat some, but I definitely wouldn't suggest learning on a bike that is going to hand cuff you handling wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170
Just remember.."respect for the bike" is not what keeps you from crashing. You can have all the respect in the world for the bike, but when you do something accidentally and the bike reacts in a way that your skillset doesn't know how to respond to.......that's what ends you up on your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic
For every person that came in "too hot" and ran off the track, there is somebody else who comes into that same turn, even hotter, on purpose.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Hey Thanks so much for the speedy reply My dad can actually ride, though he has some back issues it makes me nervous (i fully understand when a parent worries about their kid riding, I worry about my dad the same lol) But I think you are right, and he will ride it home for me. I've been doing parking lots for a while, and sadly you can only reach a certain speed there and there are no real hazards (big trucks ext aha) so after a bit more practice in the lot i'm going to find a decent road to start out on! Its just that jump ya know? Like the first time you ride a roller coaster. Scary as shit but then when you finish..you want to do it again (or at least I hope thats how it will work haha!)

Good Idea about lowering the bike, I've been lookin on some forums about shaving the seat, and it doesn't seem impossible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Very welcome! What year bike did you get? And ya your dad should be ok as long as it isn't a really long ride. The 250r is a pretty up right riding bike. I totally agree on the parking lot only so much you can do. Are there any back roads you can practice on or are you in a pretty urban setting? Just take your time with it and ride at your own pace and try to remember what they taught ya in the safety course and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Definitely take a look into the shaving of the seat or bigger boots, I'd hate to see you lose the awesome handling abilities of the 250. Do you have any pictures of it yet?

Quote:
Just remember.."respect for the bike" is not what keeps you from crashing. You can have all the respect in the world for the bike, but when you do something accidentally and the bike reacts in a way that your skillset doesn't know how to respond to.......that's what ends you up on your head.
Quote:
For every person that came in "too hot" and ran off the track, there is somebody else who comes into that same turn, even hotter, on purpose.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Welcome! I've kind of in a similar boat... I'm a little nervous to ride but I am hoping that the MSF builds the confidence I need.

I plan on hitting the parking lot a lot too! From what I've read, anyone can ride a bike in a straight line, but things like cornering and smooth braking that you can practice at low speeds in a parking lot really will help build confidence and skill.

It sounds like you're on the right track to being a great rider! Many happy miles!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys! Sorry for late response. I didn't realize there were messages lol. But I am ridin on the street now. I practiced in. Parking lot one day for like 3 hours and then eventually I got thirsty and was like screw it I'm going home. I've been ridin everywhere ever since and I love it!! Today it is raining here and I hate driving my car now! Rideronthestorm.. How r u making out?? It just clicks I swear and becomes second nature. I'll post a picture soon. I had the seat shaved and it's just a nice little baby bike now haha.
Good luck and enjoy guys!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenRo View Post
Hey guys! Sorry for late response. I didn't realize there were messages lol. But I am ridin on the street now. I practiced in. Parking lot one day for like 3 hours and then eventually I got thirsty and was like screw it I'm going home. I've been ridin everywhere ever since and I love it!! Today it is raining here and I hate driving my car now! Rideronthestorm.. How r u making out?? It just clicks I swear and becomes second nature. I'll post a picture soon. I had the seat shaved and it's just a nice little baby bike now haha.
Good luck and enjoy guys!!

Great!! Good to hear you've built up the confidence!

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM

hi lauren! I'm 5'2" too! I had my bike delivered from the shop because I was to scared to drop it in front of all of the sales and service guys. My dad rode my bike to a park and ride and I followed him in my car. I had him leave, and I told him that I would call him when to pick me up. I ended up taking the bike home myself lol! and i didn't even want to go home. I love riding so much. as for being too short, I am barely on the ball so my feet when I come to a stop. I have been riding for 3 weeks and laid it down once (thank god for frame sliders). When i did lay it down, I was in the parking lot and on an incline. so my foot was farther from the ground then a flat surface. AFter riding on the street for a while, I learned that if I scoot my butt a little to a side where I know that I;m going to be putting my foot down then set it down when Im at a complete stop. I have gotten confident enough to start off from a stop with only one foot, then pick it up once I pick up speed. trust me, you don't need to lower it... you'll just create more problems with handling and suspension and money by lowering it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi my names Gabe & I'm addicted to riding my ninja. I'm a new rider (febuary), all I have to say is I got my self a 2nd wife now or a sancha for you spainish speaking people, my 1st ride on my bike was a 30 min ride on the highway w/speed limit of 70 mph to my house talk about nervous!

We raise hell bitch!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement