Question about gas cap - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Garage
Personally I'd try a penetrating type oil first, WD-40 wasn't invented for that use.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Either way I'll be dismantling the whole thing if all else fails, which I'm getting the feeling is what will end up happening in the long run to be honest.

So going to hijack my own thread here a bit... So I'm looking at my bike yesterday, and I noticed some damage I hadn't noticed before which I'm 99.9% sure happened the day of my first wipe out. It looks as if one of the metal bars that the side mirrors bolt into is bent inward, most likely from the impact. I'll attach pics below. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed and not something that will leave me royally screwed.
Note: I know my bike looks dirty and beat to hell. I don't neglect it lol, I just haven't really done much cleaning on it since my wipe out.

Here's one more of what it looked like before my first crash .

Last edited by Samfb24; 10-27-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:52 PM

Garage
You can always try to straighten it yourself, if not eBay to the rescue.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfb24 View Post
...I was thinking about spraying a little wd40 down the gas cap key hole to see if it helps.
I may help, however if there is some corrosion it will take some time to get the lock back to normal. The tumblers in the new gens offer very little abillity for lube to get exactly where it's needed most, the cam, on the bottom portion of the key cylinder. Basically it 2 small areas of brass, one piece turning on the other, held together by a tiny c-clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfb24 View Post
.... Hopefully I can find that bike aid lube locally. Otherwise I'll have to buy it online and wait for it to arrive.
IMHO
Why pay $17+ for 4 oz of lube when you can pay $7 for 11oz of very good Dupont Teflon Chain Saver
that you might be able to find locally.

webBikeWorld Review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

Good luck.

Last edited by DaBlue1; 10-27-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM

Garage
Super Lube 51010 Oil Super Lube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGHY..._kxamwbJKA5MNR

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 PM

That fairing stay is a pretty hardy bracket. There's no bending back completely straight, a bend that bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-NIN...item5d5e31792d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-KAWASA...item2a57d805fe
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm relieved to know its a part I can remove/replace. Being new to bikes and all my concern was "dammit did I fuck up the frame already?". Glad to hear that isn't the case. Seems like the fairing stay and all the plastics will be 2 most expensive parts I'll need to repair my bike. Everything else like the mirrors and turn signals are pretty cheap as far as I can tell.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 AM

Garage
Look on eBay for fairings, you can find used OEM ones cheap along with the fairing stay.

If your really patient, you can get it in the same color, it will save you money to having to repaint it.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Look on eBay for fairings, you can find used OEM ones cheap along with the fairing stay.

If your really patient, you can get it in the same color, it will save you money to having to repaint it.
Good info, I have been periodically checking ebay. I found a full fairings kit on another site (can't remember what it was, I have it bookmarked at home) for about $350. Not sure if that's a good price or not but would save me time and shipping costs vs searching for individual parts. The kit is also black.

Touching back on my gas cap issue. I spoke to the previous owner on the bike and got to the bottom of it. Per his words, he got tired of having to lock/unlock the cap so he took it apart removed the "lock" which I'm assuming he was referring to the tumbler... and he lost it. So that solves that mystery. I guess I'm looking for a new tumbler and will need to have it re keyed. I wonder if there're any other small essential parts missing in there.

Last edited by Samfb24; 11-03-2015 at 02:20 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 PM

Garage
Be warned, some of those inexpensive fairings are cheap Chinese, the quality is less than OEM.

I have a friend with a CBR 4FI, he went with a set of those, they look good, but are thinner, and some fitment issues.

As far as the gas cap goes, just find another complete one on eBay, and have it rekeyed, much easier in the long run, so your not chasing down pieces.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement