Process of buying a bike? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Process of buying a bike?

Hey, I just joined this forum because I recently passed my MSF course and I am interested in purchasing a bike. But, I am only 22 and I never been through the process of buying a bike/car so I wanted to ask what the process is like. I would expect it to be more than just handing over money..

I am actually asking just in case I want to buy the bike from the dealership because I am really nervous about buying something pre-owned with the fear that it might just break down. In addition, I want to do this without my parents knowing (they know I will get a bike, but I don't want them to know that I'm getting a brand new one..) So. I plan on paying cash up front. What else am I expected to do other than that..? Do I need my parents to sign anything etc?

I am also worried about how I should file it in taxes because I don't work or anything, this is just money that I've saved over the years.

I am also wondering what I should expect the out the door price for a $3999 msrp 250r to be.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 AM

I'd think the best person to ask your questions is the local Kawasaki dealer you wish to purchase the bike from. If you have the option of visiting two different Kawasaki dealers to compare, that would help you. Ask the Honda and Suzuki dealers the same questions on their bikes in your price range. If you ask the same basic questions to several dealers, you'll have a pretty good idea what's true and what to expect. Know too, that added to the cost of the bike is state sales tax, tags and registration. Don't forget about motorcycle insurance cost. Go talk to your insurance agent to learn the cost of insurance before you buy. Take your MSF card for an insurance discount. You're 22, it's your money, you can buy the bike, but I'd talk to your folks and let them know why you're buying new vs used. You'll feel better being up front and earn their respect that you care about their feelings. But if you're going to buy a Ninja 250R, they are pretty tough little bikes, if someone is selling a 2009 or 2010, check it out. Ask to see their maintenance service manual and ask why they are selling. You might be able to save a lot of money over new. If this is your starter bike, I'd buy used. You'll be buying a bigger bike in the future. Good Luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Hey. Great to hear your getting into motorcycling and doing the right thing by starting small. The process at the dealership is pretty simple they will take care of everything for you once you agree to sit down and pay a price. You will have to pay sales tax title and reg fees as well as dealer fees and destination fees if you buy it through a dealership. Expect to pay about 5000$ out the door for a new Ninja 250R. Maybe 4500$ out the door if you can negotiate alittle off the price. Even on new vehicles the price is negotiable so don't think you have to pay MSRP or sale price, you can always ask for more off. THis is standard negotiating and you should know how to do this properly if you want to make it through life without getting taken advantage of.

Are you in Brooklyn NY or CT? I live in south western MA not to far from those places and I just won a brand new Ninja 250R in a Kawasaki contest. It has 100 miles on it. And if you give me 4000$ and you live near me(200 miles) I will deliver it to you for that price.(after delivery and however many miles I have on it it might have around 500 miles max. I got the bike 2 days ago). I kinda like it so I won't really negotiate on the price, but I could use the money for other things and I already have a big powerful bike. If you pick it up it would be 3800$ holyoke ma. It's a 2012 BTW hard to find in stores that have leftover 2010's and 2011's.

Last edited by tunertype; 09-04-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM

HEY YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF TO BUY A USED ONE WITH VERY LOW MILES FOR A LOT CHEAPER IN CASE YOU DROP IT.WITH LITTLE EXPERIENCE THERE IS MORE OF THAT CHANCE.GET THE CHEAPER BIKE TO PRACTICE WITH AND THEN OFF IT AND BUY YOUR NEW ONE.YOU WILL BE VERY PISSED BUYING THAT NICE BRAND NEW BIKE AND LAYING HER DOWN.JUST A HINT TO YOU NOTHING OFFENCIVE.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement