New guy from Atlanta - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

New guy from Atlanta

my name is Sulaiman Farooqi. I have just started a riding three months ago. I live in Atlanta, Georgia area. Anyways... I have bought a 2012 ninja 250 r three months ago. I had no experience with any manual transmission vehicle. I never even ridden a dirt bike. I started started to learn how to ride a bike on my 2012 ninga 250r which i got it for selling an old toyota camry. Unfortunately, this was my only source of transportation. My friend who is a bike enthusiast, taught me how to ride. I learned quickly how to ride it and I started riding it to school and work. I bought the bike when it had 2800 miles. It now has almost 4500 miles. Since my ninja was the only source of transportation, I drove that baby all over metro Atlanta. I drove it at night, in the rain, in the snow, and at very cold temperature. I did not have any gear whats so ever so, I was very uncomfortable at times. I was really regretting buying a bike then. I didnt even have a biker's in-structural permit. I drove a week a with out a permit and insurance.
However, I obtained a permit and insurance a two weeks after I bought the bike. Now I was very reckless at first speeding as much as I can. It was quite exhilarating for me since this was my first time riding an actual motorcycle. I would have to say I fell in love with a riding a motorbike. There were many times I got into an accident, but I would luck out. Except for one day about two weeks ago. I left my bike outside overnight in the ice cold rain(rookie mistake). I had to leave for work early in morning while it was still drizzling. I was also intoxicated from marijuana FYI. Any way I was started engine of my 250. Hopped on. Waited till the engine was warm. Then I started driving inside the neighborhood. I was riding atleast between 35-40 mph. I was driving into a curve, and I lost concentration for a second. All of a sudden I realized I was riding too fast and pressed on the rear brakes while riding in to a puddle(another rookie mistake). I lost complete control as I was drifting towards the mailbox. I tried to lay my bike down, however it landed in the front of the curb as I flipped over the curb and landed on the sidewalk. Keep in my mind I still did not have any gear except for a helmet. I landed on my left hand, right knee, and my head. My bike was down and I got up as fast as I can. My whole body was in pain and I picked up my bike. The body of the bike was completely cracked and abraded. I called my friend and he picked me up took me and my bike back to his home. Luckily only damages were exterior damages. After taking pain killers I was asleep all day. My friend who is a bike enthusiast happened to find cheap oem ninja 250r body kit for real cheap. We went to get it. He replaced the damaged body with a whole new body in one night. The next day, my knee and my hand were swollen and cut up. And my shins were bruised tremendously. My friend saved $1200 or maybe more for finding and replacing the body. This bike is still my only transportation and I am continuing to ride it. Ever since I crashed, I am not driving as recklessly as I was. I actually lost a lot of confidence in riding. However, that fear disappeared after a day. I have to ride to school and work every day And I have to commute 50 miles a week to visit family. The bike still rides perfect and I am deeply attached to it now. However, I may have to sell it off real soon. But since the weather is now warmer, I can keep for a little longer. I have just received my motorcycle license which I barely passed last week. I feel pretty experienced now that I am close to riding 2000 miles in various types of conditions on my ninja 250r. I ride on highways and interstates any chance I get. I have before and after pictures of my ninja from my accident.

Now I have questions for the real experienced riders who have been riding for atleast 5 yrs. I don't care if you ride scooters.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for me since im a rookie:
  • Should I stick with my 250r and keep riding for more experience?
  • Should I get a bigger bike now and would you think Im ready to ride a 600-750cc bike. Or maybe 1000cc, but Im a little scared of that.
  • Im really fond of bikes now and I really want to keep one, however I think a car would be a better source of transportation. Money is not really an issue now. If I sell this ninja ill will have a enough money to buy a decent car. Now what would be the best decision for me to choose from? A car and a bike both have their pros and cons.
[LIST]
Also, Ive never ridden any other type of bike except for my ninja 250r. So, I am completely unaware of the driving style of any other bike except of course my ninja.[B] Now is it safe for me to drive anywhere on any road with a 250 engine bike? For example, every single time I ride on the highway, i tend to get very uncomfortable and nervous. My speed is around 70-80 miles average. The rpm is about 12. The max my ninja can take is 14. Since the bike is very light, the wind pushes me constantly from every direction. I become very scared due to the speed Im riding and how strong the wind is blowing. It is a struggle to drive straight on the hwy. Also most cars are a lot faster than my bike. My top speed on the bike is 90. Any faster the engine may blow. So, is it good that im riding on the hwy or is it something I need to stop doing?

The black body-kit color is before the accident. The green special edition kit is the replacement. It is the same bike, with different body-kit. Let me know which looks better?

Please give me any feedback or advice to become a better rider I still have a lot to learn and I hope y'all will give your input. I am trying to enhance my riding skills any way I can and survive while I enjoy myself. im glad I am part of this forum. Thank you all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00F0F_bAxiXkdZnhJ_600x450.jpg (51.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 00J0J_g0eCMA076jH_600x450.jpg (43.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 00n0n_8THu8YK1MbW_600x450 (1).jpg (42.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 01515_b8WmJTRrKoX_600x450.jpg (49.2 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaiman Farooqi View Post
..... is it safe for me to drive anywhere on any road with a 250 engine bike? For example, every single time I ride on the highway, i tend to get very uncomfortable and nervous. My speed is around 70-80 miles average. The rpm is about 12. The max my ninja can take is 14. Since the bike is very light, the wind pushes me constantly from every direction. I become very scared due to the speed Im riding and how strong the wind is blowing. It is a struggle to drive straight on the hwy. Also most cars are a lot faster than my bike. My top speed on the bike is 90. Any faster the engine may blow. So, is it good that im riding on the hwy or is it something I need to stop doing?
Honestly, until you gain some more confidence and improve your riding skills, the hwy may not be the place for you. Mistakes and accidents happen in an instant, so you want to be on top of your game and your bike needs to be able to handle the rigors of the daily beating you're putting on it. Rideabilty, stability and control are important so you need to make sure you get that out of your bike.

These several improvements can help make your bike more rideable and stable on the hwy as well as overall use.

Change your sprocket set up to 15/43, it offers the best balance of acceleration and top speed. Any extra is wasted without the proper gear set up.

Those who ride freeway like to reduce the RPM speed as much as possible and still be able to have passing power in the top gear if need be. As a frequent Hwy rider I use 15/41 and still outpace most traffic easy.

15/41 @ 8k = 76.3 mph in 6th gear (requires minor modifications to improve throttle response and overall power)
15/42 @ 8k = 74.5 mph in 6th gear

(requires minor modifications to improve throttle response and overall power) 15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear
15/44 @ 8k = 71.1 mph in 6th gear
15/45 @ 8k = 69.6 mph in 6th gear

For better braking, stainless steel brake lines and sintered pads are recommended.

Slightly bigger & better than stock tires will help improve handling of the bike. I would highly recommend no bigger than a 140/70/17 tire on a rear stock rim. The Bridgestone BT-45 or the new Michelin Pilot Street are ideal tires for what you need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement