New 250 owner. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

New 250 owner.

Hello everyone. I just picked up an 04 250 for my girlfriend. I myself ride a 06 636. Right off the bat i knew this bike had a salvage title. The seller listed that he had a clean titled frame to go with it, which he did. I picked the bike and frame up with an extra 90 ninja 600 parts bike.

I later come to find out that the frame I was given is for an 88 ex500 -_-

I do understand that the bikes definitely look similar from the outside, but the 500 frame is square tube while the 250 is round and I highly doubt that the various parts will bolt up. Can anyone tell me for sure if this frame is usable to me before I begin looking for a good 250 frame?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM

ohh that sux man sorry to hear that, im useless cuz i cant help u out

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 AM

Why not just ride it with a salvage titled frame....

Unless there is physical damage to the frame then it'll be fine as is.

CCS & MCRA #81

2010 YZF-R6
2009 YZF-R6
2010 250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 06:14 PM

the ex-500 frame is not interchangeable but, like mercenary said just ride it as is. just because it has a salvage title doesn't mean it has or had frame damage.just the cost to fix it was higher than a given percentage of the value by the PO insurance company.which with these and the 500 ninja's is usually attained by just a slow lowside or even a abrupt tip over, busting the upper cowling,blinker,scuffedmirror,scappes on the muffler, you get the idea.
As long as the 04' 250 you bought has a offical title that says salvaged by your states DMV no worries.Now if the salvage title you have is from the salvage pool the guy you bought it from, your kinda screwed you would have to find a clean title bare frame and swap everything over to be legal.Don't know if where you live is the same as where
i live but you also need the original engine number also so if you don't have that it's a paper work and fee induced nightmare that sometimes makes it not worth it.
All that being said it is the same scenario as how I bought my 2000 250 Ninja,just with out the girl friend quotient (my wife wouldn't like that part of it,lol)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses and help. The salvage title and paperwork are from georgia and the owner signed it incorrectly so its as good as scrap. I ended up just biting the bullet and picking up a used 02 frame with a clean title on sunday. The mounts where the bracket that holds the rear of the tank bolts to were pretty tweaked but I managed to massage them back straight and added a few welds. As for the 500 frame, I'm now trying to get rid of it to cover the blow from the 250 frame.

Thanks again!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 AM

well that's good you found a frame to use I wound up doing the same thing with mine.
Now just need a little time to swap everthing over and do some seriously neglected maintenance,then I'm going to beat the living snot out of mine.Because that's what I bought it for.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I already started digging into the work. Take a look at my build thread
https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8297

Sponsored Links
Advertisement