Gitters - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Gitters

Hey all. Got my bike 08 250r. Been riding in my driveway( not yet endorsed) . Well being new to riding I have feelings or nerves I'd say. So is this something that will go away overtime? Any experienced riders please way in on this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Never rode before? I never had rode any kind of motorcycle when I first bought my 2012 Ninja. I didn't even ride it home! I drove around my neighborhood learning how to ride. Even dropped my bike within the first week! Took about 3 weeks til I felt comfortable enough to get on the interstate.

I would say that it's normal to be 'nervous' about riding. I've gotten very comfortable on my bike, but in the back of my mind, the thought of something happening on the road is something to consider normal. More like a warning in your head to remind you to stay alert and cautious cuz anything can happen.

As you gain more riding experience, the feeling goes away. When you get more comfortable, you may get careless. Just always remember to ride safe. Anticipate the worse so you may be better prepared. Just the other night I was riding home and crossed an overpass for an interstate. I saw a semi turn off the interstate and onto the road I was riding. I was in the right lane, he saw me and entered the left lane. By this time I had already let off the throttle. As I came closer to the off ramp, I saw the lights of another vehicle that was behind the semi. Surely enough he pulled out to get on the same road, but turned into my lane. I anticipated this action in the back of my head and as soon as I realized what was happening, I braked and swerved into the left lane to avoid slamming into the car. I had another friend behind me on a bike as well and another friend following in his mustang.. Saw the whole thing happen. At the next light they asked me if I was ok. Though it was nerve racking, I was happy to have been able to react properly.

You're on two wheels, and on a much smaller vehicle. Being exposed makes it that much more dangerous in the event of an accident. So it is normal to be 'nervous.' Be safe, where proper gear, stay alert. You'll be ok.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Last edited by AZninja2012; 06-16-2013 at 11:09 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM

Fear of the unknown... Stay off the streets until you get the msf coarse training.. Parking lots are fine but make it a big one...

Try to find a mentor who is able to work with you and train you in person.

What or who influenced you into the way of the motorcycle?

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement