hello everyone from fremanNK250 advice needed - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

hello everyone from fremanNK250 advice needed

I've had a 2012 ninja 250 for about 6 months now and it just doesn't give a thrill as much as it did before I still love riding but I'm looking for a little more in my 250 any ideas for horsepower and apperance? Anyone fabricated a longer swingarm that can walk me through it? Open to ideas I'm new to these fourms so bare wit me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremanKN250 View Post
...I've had a 2012 ninja 250 for about 6 months now and it just doesn't give a thrill as much as it did before I still love riding but I'm looking for a little more in my 250 any ideas for horsepower and apperance?

If you feel you need more horsepower, ask yourself, what exactly do you want the bike to do and "How much you want to spend?"
'Is the bike used for commuting or racing?"
"Are you willing to trade good gas mileage for crappy gas mileage and unnecessary extra maintenance and work?"

Sprocket changes take advantage of the HP that's on tap in the stock Ninja. Start there. 15/43 has been proven to provide a nice balance of acceleration and top end speed. More than a few racers run 15/43 or 15/42 so they don't have to shift as much, just keep the rpms up.

Those who ride freeway like to reduce the RPM speed as much as possible and still be able to have passing power in the top gear if need be. As a frequent Hwy rider, I use 15/41 and still outpace most traffic easy (55-70 mph posted speed limit).

15/41 @ 8k = 76.3 mph in 6th gear
15/42 @ 8k = 74.5 mph in 6th gear
15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear
15/44 @ 8k = 71.1 mph in 6th gear
15/45 @ 8k = 69.6 mph in 6th gear

If that is still not enough, look to spend anywhere from $350-$3000 on upgrades. Want to take off faster? Twist the throttle more. Keep in mind that the fastest, official record holding, & highly modified Ninja running regular gas still only goes 114+ mph in the States.

Because the Ninja is a little shy on the HP side, there's not a lot of power on tap to be had. The Ninja 250 is never going to be a powerful bike. The cost for the extra HP on the Ninja is pretty high for what you get.

Getting more HP, low end power or more top end, is going to be a trade off, meaning that if you want more HP, you lose low-end torque and HP to get there. If you want more low-end umph, you're going to lose top-end speed/HP. Also that great gas mileage you get goes out the window, when you start adding full exhaust, re-jetting and removing the airbox.

Some suggestions on mods for performance gains.

1-5bhp : Exhaust pipe, intake and jet kit.
3-8bhp : Porting, compression increase, cams, performance carbs.
20+bhp : Trade the Ninja 250 for a bigger bike.

If you are a a budget minded owner and looking for a little extra pep, keep the bike rideable and easy to maintain with out breaking the bank, there are a few things you can do.

First, is arm your self with some knowledge. Without it you'll have a headache for months.

How Constant Velocity Carburetors Work
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...bs_work_v3.swf

Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

Pipe Jetting (A Must Read)
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-jetting.html

Carburetor Jet Tech
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...et_tech_v3.swf

Secondly, remember the Ninja 250 has been around for more than 30 years and a whole lot has been done to it and is still being done. You're not going to reinvent it. Enhance and redesign...maybe, but a whole lot of proven work and improvements and testing and hard work have already been done for you. When you get good advice or tips go with it.

Thirdly, these few improvements are easy to do, don't cost a lot and will make the bike respond and ride a little better.

1. Shim the needles with (2) two 3mm washers and remove the snorkel. Shims add a little bit more fuel to the 1/4-3/4 throttle range, a little more fuel results in better throttle response-(simple, don't complicate it)(If you have a slip on exhaust removal of the kleen air system is optional if you don't mind the popping.)

2. Replace the stock air filter with an aftermarket one;
WIX- P/N: 49721
UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303 or
Pipercross Performance Air Filter- P/N: MXP166 (highly recommended)

4. Leave the airbox in. There is no real need to replace it with pod filters unless you like unnecessary work & spending more time tuning than riding. The exact same or similar results you get with pods you can get with the stock airbox and full exhaust system

3. Install Iridium Spark Plugs-either NGK Iridium CR8EIX or The Denso Iridium IU24

4. Run 87 octane gas, it makes more power. Use ethanol free if you can get it.

5. Run full synthetic oil

6. Change your sprocket set up to 15/43, it offers the best balance of acceleration and top speed.

7. If you got a couple hundred dollars, you can change your engine timing. the BRT i-DTIS offers the second most significant gains to HP and torque as far as add ons go. The first is the full exhaust.

8. Learn to ride better, twist the throttle a little more on take off (closer to 3k, don't worry about rpm speeds under 2.5 k except for idle speed) and enjoy the ride

Last edited by DaBlue1; 06-07-2013 at 03:02 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the knowledge and I responded to your post eairler on the extension seems I was already in the pointed direction. If u don't mind can you friend me so when I need further advice I can gain it through you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement