I'm a newbie and I think I bit off more than I can chew. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

I'm a newbie and I think I bit off more than I can chew.

Hey everybody, My name's Mike

As the title states, I'm new to the forum and need some help.

Let me start out as saying I just purchased my first real bike, it's an 03 250r. I say it's my first REAL bike because I have been riding one of those 150cc ROMA scooters that look like a small ninja (if you want a laugh, I can upload a pic of my big ass and that tiny little bike).

So for a little more background, I've been on craigslist for a few weeks trying to find a starter bike to learn the clutch on. I know the mechanics of it and drive a manual car so shifting as a concept is far from a new skill for me. I found the one I ended up buying on craigslist. It looks pretty, a few scratches, missing turn signal, etc. The guy says it has a knock in the engine. He took it on a trade and only rode it once. He says it fires up and is drive-able...Cool!

So I rent a trailer (I'm not getting on the road with a bike I know nothing about) and drive out to his house. I see the bike, I'm actually impressed by how clean it looks. So her fires it up and I hear the knocking he's talking about. I've seen enough youtube videos saying this is common so I don't worry too much about that. He lives on a gravel road, but I need to at least ride this thing before I buy it, so I hop on and ride on up the road. I can tell it's not the most powerful, i'm ok with that. It seems to shift well, isn't smoking or anything and while not the nicest, seems to be a suitable thing for me to learn on. So I head back to his house, talk him down from $900 to $600 and load 'er up in the trailer.

Here's where I'm running into issues. I get home, pull it off the trailer and start it up, takes a few tries, but it comes alive. I grab my helmet, get on and go to take it around the block. Now that I'm on pavement, I can test it out a bit more. Problem is, the bike won't rev past 5k under load. If it is at idle and I rev it, I can get it up to 12k but it's not exactly smooth. Well I get it around the block at 15 miles an hour, and it dies a few times when I come to a stop. Back at my house, I shut it down, then tried to start it up and it won't start. I was able to get it to start by twisting the throttle all the way and hitting the starter, but the second I let go of the throttle, it dies.

So I'm just curious if there's some easy things that I can check to maybe get this thing running, or how bad did I screw up?

In any event, sorry for the book!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Garage
Odds are it's a fuel issue, carburetors might need a thorough cleaning, if your not experience in this, let me know.

But before we go tearing into the carburetors, let's start with the basics, like fresh fuel, modern ethanol fuels break down quicker then non,, some say in as little as a month, so dump the gas, re fuel with fresh fuel, run the bike, remember it will take awhile to make its way through the carburetors, unless to drain the fuel bowls first.

If you drain the bowls to, it will take a few minutes of cranking to get the fuel into the bowls, thus is due to the ninja has a vacuum petcock, which if it's defective will not allow fuel to flow, since there's no pump, it's a gravity feed fuel system.

Try fresh gas, and adding Seafoam just in case, but if the bike sat for some time, without the fuel being stabilized, odds are the carburetors will need to be cleaned. As I said if your in need let me know.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

I figured it was fuel, but wanted a second opinion. I'm familiar with petcock valves (and breaking them) so I'll drain the fuel and the floats bowls and try again.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Garage
As long as your in the neighborhood, install an inline fuel filter, most motorcycle shops have these for a few dollars. The PreGen Ninja has no filter, so look at this as preventive maintenance, buy at least 2, if not 3. I carry a spare with me in the tool kit, along with spare fuses 10A & 30A.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:10 PM

Welcome aboard to the forum. I believe Knn is also offer such kind of fuel filter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 10:08 PM

Garage
You are correct, which is the one's I use.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:51 PM

That also what I thought, got the same model over the net with 4 wheel online and worked pretty well.

Last edited by jamesjimmy; 04-20-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement