New to the forum - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

New to the forum

Hello to all. New to this forum, not new to bikes. Have owned many different types over the years. Recently purchased a fairly clean '07 Ninja 250R with relatively low miles (10K). Front turn stalks have been removed and the holes in the fairing simply covered with black tape. Interested in installing flush mount markers and wonder if anyone can recommend a brand that will mount easily and cover the stock holes. I like the look of the ones sold by Bike Bandit. They sort of resemble the marker lights you might see on the roof of a pick-up truck...similar shape. Anyone know if they will fit? I'll be replacing tires, doing a brake job, and replacing a few missing fairing bolts. Oh yeah, also will replace the cracked windscreen...found a Chinese item on Fleabay for like $20. Thought I'd give it a try. Bike doesn't appear to have ever been laid down...little flaws look like stuff that happens from getting banged around in the garage. More importantly, bike runs great. Fires right up and idles nicely. Rides nicely too. No wobbles or shakes and performs like, well, like a stock Ninja 250 performs. Not going to set the world on fire, but is a good, sweet little bike! I'll be uploading pictures as things progress and welcome any comments or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM

Garage
Welcome, here are just a few things to think about,

1.Get trained and licensed MSF Courses

2.ALWAYS Wear protective gear -- ATGATT All The Gear, All The Time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by a government agency.

3.ALWAYS Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs

4.ALWAYS Ride within your own skill limits

5.Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses, and advanced rider course A.R.C.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218237

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...8&postcount=26

A.T.G.A.T.T. so I may ride another day.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Great advice, Ghostt! I do ride with most of the gear. Helmet ALWAYS, same with riding gloves and at the least, jeans. Also wear a Joe Rocket armored jacket 90% of the time. I must admit, sometimes I don't wear boots but I think that's about to change. And I think it's time to invest in some riding pants. I always ride within my limits and NEVER impaired, and that means if I'm not feeling well too. Riding while you are under the weather can be considered impaired. I am trained and licensed and have taken an A.R.C. Just so you know, I am an older rider (almost 60), have ridden bikes longer than I have driven cars (my first vehicle of any kind was a bike), hold a Class "A" CDL (I'm an owner-operator and into my second million miles, accident free), and even know a little about flying small planes (not a licensed pilot, but plenty of second seat time over the years with friends that are). I enjoy knowing how things work and how to work things. Oh, almost forgot...I've owned boats for much of my adult life and have had several safety courses in that world as well. Back to bikes, I've been preaching the Keith Code approach for as long as I can remember. And I'll never understand the mentality of the real posers...that being the certain population of predominantly American brand motorcycle owners that ride around with nothing more on their heads than a ball cap or a tied up bandana. WTF??? Guess you can't get through to some people but we can do what we can to keep ourselves safe. And laws don't really help...you can't legislate common sense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

'07 250 Update

OK...so I've done some research and learned more than I ever wanted to know about flush mount turn signals for this bike. I found the info (on this forum) about the now unobtainium AsianCycle lights and searched the old interweb for everything from Bike Masters off the shelf units (too short, clunky, and look too much like pick-up truck roof lights) to actual pick-up truck roof lights. I considered modifying the fairing by cutting, filling, and painting and installing some kind of trick looking custom lights. I thought to myself, if I'm going to do bodywork, maybe I'll really go custom and fit some automotive side marker lights...maybe something from a Honda Pilot or some BMW lights I saw that might look cool. Then I thought, the simplest solution is often the best and I took another look at the stock units that were removed from the bike but were supplied when I purchased it. The rubber on the stalks were deteriorated and falling apart, but the lights themselves were just fine. Long story longer, I made a small modification to the plastic mounting plates that screw to the fairing, shortened the stalks, worked a little magic with black RTV (from behind, where it doesn't show) and voila! I know have short stalk, almost flush mount stock lights that look absolutely awesome! And the free fix is always the best fix, isn't it?
New tires arrived from Bike Bandit. Brake job and tires next project. New brake pads came with the bike...previous owner didn't install them but handed the box to me. So in addition to the initial purchase, I'm in for tires ($175) and a $20 replacement windshield. Removed all bodywork, applied elbow grease (thorough cleaning of everything) and reassembled. Did I mention this bike only has 10K miles on it? It just keeps getting better and better!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Garage
There is a company making them again, here's my write-up on the subject, over on Ninjette.org

Mad Hornet's flushmount front turn signals /AsianCycle flush-mounts clones

Look at my other blogs for more info, ideas etc....

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?u=18557

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Ghostt. I did see you posting and checked out the Mad Hornet flush mounts. Nice, but still think the free fix was the way to go, at least for now. Here's a couple of pics. Came out pretty good with the shortened stalks, don't you think?

https://goo.gl/photos/GfHCJdEHxRBT9xgJA

Last edited by Toofast; 03-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Garage
Links don't work, but I have an idea what you did, reminds me of a mod that I did on my EX500

Shortening Stock Turn Signals

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Try the link now...I forgot to share it. Fixed now I think. Should take you to my Google + album with 3 pics in it.

Last edited by Toofast; 03-24-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 AM

Garage
Yeah that works, your mod is similar to the one for EX500, looks good, and easy and free mod.

Gotta love those.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement