Here to learn the way of the 250! - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Here to learn the way of the 250!

Hey forum,

My name is Josh. I previously had a GSXR600K8 when I was in the service, then stepped away from two wheels for a while and now I'm looking to get a 250. I feel like it's plenty of bike due to my small stature. I'm not looking to ride like a "HOON" or anything so the bike will stay stock for ease of maintenance. Just want to commute and have fun, and ride safe. Any modifications will be for safety/rider comfort. Will never ride passengers because I don't feel that sport style bike are really fitted for such use. Therefore rear pad and pegs will be uninstalled. Looking to do levers/pegs/lighting. Was curious what are the good quality common brands out there for the chassis. I will be retrofitting a projector myself(have a few of my cars I've converted with beautiful results.). And I'd like to add a pre-strobe to my brake light. And probably convert to LED's for all markers and running lights. Thoughts? Any guidance on tires/brakes would be greatly appreciated. Is there an exhaust that is quieter then stock? Does the bike run a 12V system because I'd like to also upgrade the horn(s) as well. Just don't want to over draw the system.

Well I guess that's enough for my introductory post, thanks everyone.

Last edited by NinjaBasics87; 10-08-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 10:06 PM

Garage
Welcome, and the 250 is an amazing bike, once you have the suspension dialed in, and quality tires it will utterly amaze you and your friends.

It's an easy and cheap bike to work on. I have both a 91 EX500, & 98 Ninja 250. I've had big bore bikes in the past, and I'm comfortable, and confident on the little parallel twin engines.

Here probably the best wiki on the 250, courtesy of our brothers at ninja250.org, this will get you started http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

I have done modifications to mine as well, I've ridden it for 13 hours straight, with no issues along the interstates, I'm 6'3" and weigh about 210lbs in full gear.

Here's my quick write-up on the modifications to date.

Quote:
Back in May 2014, I picked up a 98 with 27k miles on it for a great price. The P.O. did nothing except put gas in it, and changed the oil, I think, he did this for about 20k of the total miles.

Needless to say it needed a lot of TLC. I am no stranger to rebuilding bikes, I did my 91 EX500 which was a basket case for sure to say the least, here is the link to see that build:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1006527...JCB6ffS-973wgE

With that said I went through the bike, repairing, replacing, & modifying as I went, with the exception of the engine/transmission that seems solid no noises or smoke.

Here is a link to the evolution as told by pictures.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1006527...IDXyZXyoe2m0QE

Work performed as of 08/2015

Cut and set sag front fork springs(springs from a Ninja 500 1st generation, rate is .85kg/mm )

Replace fork oil 15wt synthetic

Install new fork seals and dust caps

Replace rear shock(zx600c)

Replace shock oil 15wt synthetic

Change gears +1/-2(15/43)

Rebuild/tune carbs, adjust idle mixture

K&N air filter

New brake pads F&R EBC extreme HH

New Wave front rotor

Used OEM rear rotor

Rebuilt calipers

Modified OEM seat(gel/foam insert, Custom Seat Creation cover solo line cf silver/cf metal, heated kit)

Extra heavy bar ends(3"/23oz)

Heated grips w/ foam covers

Touring windscreen / 7 JuRock 18" 73%tint w/ flip

Shorter bar risers(OEM ZX600c, lower bars about 1 1/2")

Removed paint from rims, bare aluminum

Bridgestone BT-45s w/ Dynabeads

Stainless steel allen head fasteners

Stainless steel braided brake lines

Shorty adjustable levers

HD clutch springs

Charge/voltage LED indicator

LED clock

HID headlight(55w 5k)

Replaced all other bulbs with CREE LEDs

DIY integrated tail light kit w/clear lens

DIY rear fender elimination

DIY licence plate mount(LEDs to illuminate the plate/red LEDs tied into brake light)

Brake light modulator

Maintenance free gel battery

Compact air horn

2007 Complete OEM fairing set silver

Genuine imitation carbon fiber wrap misc parts

Reflective custom graphics ZX-2R silver

Reflective custom graphic NINJA red(taillight lens)

Reflective rim tape silver

Electronic turn indicator relay

Replace front side reflectors with flush mount turn indicators LEDs

Installed rearview camera system

Installed oil cooler

Strip paint off grab handle, bare aluminum alloy.*

Custom reflective graphic "SERENITY" for windscreen silver

Aluminum chain guard from Suzuki Bandit 1200

Swing arm plugs from 08 Ninja 250

Mad Hornets Turn Signal Indicators w/duel color Cree LEDs(amber/white)

FH010 R/R modification

Digital gear indicator

Universal Rear View Side Mirror Rain Board Sun Visor Shade Shield

Kawasaki ZRX1200 lowered foot pegs

OEM upgrade shift spring

All this and full maintenance and rebuild everything else except the motor. I'm sure I'm forget some stuff, but you get the idea
If you need anything, feel free to contact me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallpaper_1.jpg (114.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6096104756963134002.jpg (110.5 KB, 4 views)

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 10-10-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome and the info, im in the process of reading all that is contained within your reply, and look forward to joining the ranks of the 250 crowd.

I know the bike is easy and affordable which is exactly what im looking for. And being a machanic ill be getting the bike back to pristine conditon and if i have to change parts im of the mindset that why not replace it with better quality bits or things that make the bike more useful for myself.

If i have any ideas or question in the R&D area ill hit you up to get you two ˘'s

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

And is there a "for sale" area of the forum for gear? I have an old but "like brand new" jacket that im looking to part with and know id probably have better luck selling here then my local FB buy/sale/trade page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement