My first Ninja... Wisconsin - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

My first Ninja... Wisconsin

Hey everyone! I picked up a 2006 250 two weeks ago for $300 with a title. I was told it just needed carb work and valves adjusted. The fairings are busted up and it has a few dents in the tank. I hope it was a good buy but I do have my doubts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150531_171254_1434300626334.jpg (59.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20150531_171307_1434300676562.jpg (56.7 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 PM

Looks like a good buy to me if all it needs to run right is a good carb cleaning. Hopefully the rocker arms aren't broken when you do the valve adjustment. You can replace the rocker arms, but the danger could be that if the rocker arms broke and slipped down into the lower half of the engine. Hopefully that's not the case!

The fairings are salvageable from the pics. You can also find others on ebay from time to time. Overall the bike looks pretty good for $300 with the title. Somebody could easily sell a 250 parted out for as much as you paid for yours.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Welcome, that is a steal! I have seen crashed bikes here in NorCal go for $1500 with bent forks and wheels. The parts for these older models are plenty and cheap. I almost bought a green one the other day but the seller had issues finding the title at the last second.

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5
3. 08 Ninja 250R Track Prepared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I am having a hard time finding what I consider cheap parts. I just seen another 2001 on craigslist for $500 but it also needs work. I will try to post my progress on here some where. Plans are to cafe it out since I haven't found fairings around here or even on ebay or amazon. Unless it's a 2008 or newer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear that you couldn't find some cheaper fairings. You might wanna call around cycle salvage or check their online inventory if they have the fairing you need. I usually check up on them once in a while when I need something.

The biggest issue with the 07 and below ninja's are the lousy tire selection, but hey the valve adjustments are easier to deal with than the newer 250's. You can always do a 17" wheel conversion if you have the time and money.

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:38 PM

Actually the tire selection is pretty decent. Well, I can't speak for other motorcycle's tires. The stock Dunlops are straight up trash. You just have to get tires that are just slightly bigger than the stocks, but still fit on the stock rims.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...fit_the_250%3F

I replaced my stocks with the Pirelli Sport Demons. They're incredible tires, especially compared to the stock. I did a lot of research for buying them, including reading the link I provided.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:11 PM

That's what I mean, you gotta have to go oversize on the tires to get decent grip, even then it's still bias-ply. I have the sport demons right now on OEM size and I gotta say it's gets the job done for everyday. Before I hit the tracks I will definitely swap for a set of Pilot Sport radial tires... I'm just happy to be able to go radial. It's a shame tire companies are not coming out with new original sizes for the pregen ninjas.

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Well I put in a new battery. Cleaned the carbs good. Did a valve adjustment (wow were they way tight by the way). Changed the oil and sparkplugs. Flushed the radiator. Runs pretty damn nice but I think it needs a new cam chain tensioner. And good leads on where to pick up the whole setup?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

After this question I'll probably move my future posts under modifications.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 PM

Did you sync the carbs after the valve adjustment?

Ebay's always a good place to get one. What's wrong with the cam chain tensioner? You could probably find the spring alone on ebay, in fact. That's the beauty of this model having been made for 20 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement