Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

34 yr old noob lookin' 4 the right bike..

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Renner 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, well I want to keep this short. I've ALWAYS wanted a bike and I got the green light from the warden/wife. I took the MSF course in April and I got my motorcycle endorsement a couple days later. I thought I wanted to start with a Honda Rebel but after taking the course I thought it felt ..well like a toy. Then, I had my mind set on a Ninja 250R for months but everone keeps telling me I'll be ok on a 600+ cc bike to start. Im not sure I agree. Im kind of intimidated. I work less than 10 miles away and would be using it "around town" mostly, eventually to work (5 HWY miles each way). I just wanted to hear some feedback from someone who already HAS a 250R..How long have yo uhad it? Are you still happy with it? If you include your age and experience in your response it would help me. I thought I was a cruiser kinda guy but the 2008+ 250R's look so nice. Advice and thoughts appreciated. :righton

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I love my Ninja 250r I have almost six months on it. I am 20 years old and I drive mine all over the place. But honstley I rode a 600 cc bike and felt fine on it But really I am glad I started on the 250 its a great bike and you cant go wrong. There has been multiple time I was actually glad I was on it and not a bigger bike. Also with the gas prices so high i get like 45 - 50 MPG on the bike all in all its a great bike for anyone.

#4 ·
There has been multiple time I was actually glad I was on it and not a bigger bike.
I must agree. Would have been a riderless bike if it were anything more powerful xD.

Anyway, I got my '89 250 about a month ago and it is still a beauty to me. I have done a few things that made me feel glad not to be on anything with bigger burst. In all honesty, it is about your own self control and willingness to take the time to feel it through every corner. I personally, am glad I have a starter 250 to educate me, and I would recommend a 250 for any new rider. (I have no experience past putting about 400 street miles on my Ninja, but what I say is what I feel.)

Being able to roll the throttle on the big 45+mph streets without worry of hitting 90 in no time is very entertaining. I want to get a new bike, but I am considering sticking in the 250 beginner category for the mileage. I also have no use for a more powerful machine.

That is quite a bit to read, but I hope it helps!

#5 ·
Hey not sure if you got a bike yet or not but heres my two cents. I have a 250 &.i love it. Im a chick and 5'5 and it fits me fine. I like how it feels and how the riding stance is. I heard the bs ooo get the 600cc. Ive had my 250 maybe 3 months. My husband has a cbr 600 & its not for me. I dont like feeling like im laying down on a rocket lol. I felt unsafe with the riding stance. I used a cruiser for my msf and that wasnt for me either. So I tryd the 250 & love it. I like how its not quite sport bike not quite cruiser its a happy middle. If I want to lay down and ride I can. Im 26 & have no experience with dirtbikes so this is all new to me. I rode the bike for about 4 hrs straight at one point an hour or more was heavy traffic where id move 6 feet then stop for a few mins. Omg did it suck, yes, but wasnt horrible. Other then a cramped hand it was good. :)

#6 ·
There seems to be few veterans posting here these days so I figured I'd come back for a bit. I had a 250 for 3 years and the only reason I got a bigger bike was because I wanted more power. It was my head that forced the upgrade, not my skill level. The 250 is a very capable motorcycle and it's what I usually recommend for new riders.

While it's true most people can handle a 600cc for their first bike, they won't learn to be a good rider nearly as fast as they would if they'd started on a 250. The 250, while it can still get you into trouble, is far more forgiving than a bigger bike. Accidentally over-rev the 250 and pop the clutch... inadvertant wheelie (my ex-gf did this). Accidentally over-rev a 600 and pop the clutch... you'll land on your head, and hopefully the bike won't still be between your legs (see the various youtube videos, there's plenty).
Also, if you're in a state that allows lane splitting (lane sharing), the 250 will teach you to be a f'ing master at it. I had a Loudon rookie of the year rider behind me while I was splitting lanes on a fat 900RR and later he said it looked like he was watching a video game, he couldn't believe how I was able to get through some of the tight spots between cars. That 'skill' was learned by riding the nice and skinny Ninja 250 for those 3 years. :)

#7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your feedback everyone! The whole time I was looking for a 2008+ ninja. For a couple days i was looking at 600's and though they looked really nice(all black R1) , I just knew in my gut I should start with a 250. I didnt want to have a bad experience with a 600 that would scare me away from motorcycling forever so I went back to looking @ ninja's, 250's. I came across this one craigslist ad for a 2006. Previously, all sub 2008 ninja's on C list looked so beat up and just so.. 90's lookin'! But this one looked so nice... the price was so right, and it was black! 1,800 original miles for 2006 was too good to pass up! It was owned by one lady in her 40's who ended up getting tendonitis or something. Anyway I went to look at it and this thing was in MINT condition! I couldnt believe it! It doesnt have a speck of rust or anything. I didnt mind paying $100 under her asking price of $2100. So far I have put 100 miles on it(first day) and worth every penny. I had planned on removing the tribal flames but like I said.. it looks so cherry as is! Only complain is that even for me (5'7ish) it feels a little cramped but Im sure I'll get used to it. Oh, and after an hour or so my hands got a little numb from the vibration maybe? I WAS wearing baseball batting gloves since I misplaced my temp mechanic gloves. Any suggestions on better grips or maybe specific gloves you may recommend? Havent ridden on the highway yet..maybe after a couple more weeks. Anyway here's a pic.. better ones to come hopefully. Thanks again you guys.. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks for your feedback everyone! The whole time I was looking for a 2008+ ninja. For a couple days i was looking at 600's and though they looked really nice(all black R1) , I just knew in my gut I should start with a 250. I didnt want to have a bad experience with a 600 that would scare me away from motorcycling forever so I went back to looking @ ninja's, 250's. I came across this one craigslist ad for a 2006. Previously, all sub 2008 ninja's on C list looked so beat up and just so.. 90's lookin'! But this one looked so nice... the price was so right, and it was black! 1,800 original miles for 2006 was too good to pass up! It was owned by one lady in her 40's who ended up getting tendonitis or something. Anyway I went to look at it and this thing was in MINT condition! I couldnt believe it! It doesnt have a speck of rust or anything. I didnt mind paying $100 under her asking price of $2100. So far I have put 100 miles on it(first day) and worth every penny. I had planned on removing the tribal flames but like I said.. it looks so cherry as is! Only complain is that even for me (5'7ish) it feels a little cramped but Im sure I'll get used to it. Oh, and after an hour or so my hands got a little numb from the vibration maybe? I WAS wearing baseball batting gloves since I misplaced my temp mechanic gloves. Any suggestions on better grips or maybe specific gloves you may recommend? Havent ridden on the highway yet..maybe after a couple more weeks. Anyway here's a pic.. better ones to come hopefully. Thanks again you guys.. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.
DUDE! Are you my brother from another mother??? I am 33 years old...just picked up my first ninja 250 after months of searching for a 2008+ in decent condition...I found her on CL also after a long time searching through all the junk models on there like you...Paid $2300 (2006-2500 miles) and here she is!! I am 6 foot 4 and really don't feel cramped on it...but have not taken her out or more than 15 miles at a time yet :) I agree on the grips...bad vibrations and just too hard...I am looking into gel grips right now. Just order all my gear and looking into swapping out those rock hard tires for something better....Good luck to you and drive safe!!! :righton

#8 ·
Nice. Congrats!

I've been looking for an 08+ also. I found an 06 in perfect condition for about the same price, but still wanting to wait for the newer look. I don't know, I may just go ahead a pull the trigger on the 06 like you. I really don't want to wait any much longer. Decisions decision decisions. :eek:hno

#10 ·
You can get gel grips, leather riding gloves, and different bar ends. Those might help a little with the vibration. And/or maybe you're just holding on too tight. Every few minutes you should wiggle your arms/elbows to remind yourself to stay loose. Gorilla gripping will wear you out after a while.

The bike feels cramped because it's so skinny. It's just a personal comfort thing you'll get used to.

#13 ·
Hey congrats on the bike purchases both of you!! I would deffinately say stay below 600cc for a starter sport bike and under 1000cc for a starter cruiser. It's actually more difficult than just engine size as a 1200 sportster has only 50hp while a 600cc 600RR has over 130hp. Seating position and really touchy brakes also make the SS(supersport 600cc and 1000cc sportbikes) a bad starting bike. Now the 650cc standard sports like the SV650 and 650R only have about 75hp and are decent starter bikes. Even a bandit 1200cc only has 98hp. I'd stay under 80hp and under 500lbs for a first bike.(a Big harley twin 1580cc motor has about 75hp and they weigh between 700lb and 1000lbs and they are not good starter bikes either)

and BTW an R1 is a 150hp 1000cc supersport that can go 180mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.