2009 Ninja 250r Does Not Start !Please HELP! - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Angry 2009 Ninja 250r Does Not Start !Please HELP!

Here are the details: (I am extremely frustrated right now.. Please HELP!)

This is a 2009 ninja EX250R the J model. The bike has been in storage for about a year. It was running perfectly before storage. I did not went through any storage/winterize procedure as i should have, because I had no idea I had to.

What I've done so far:
1) I replace a new battery.
2) Next, I drained both carburetors, about 6 oz total came out of both carburetor. The liquid was light greenish clear, and a few drop of very dark green/black fluids.
3) I sucked out all the old gas and put in about a half tank of NEW gas.
4) Replaced both Spark plugs with brand new ones.

And it does the same thing before I do anything and after I did all i just mention.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a video of exactly what it's doing:

Last edited by yelloowboixx; 05-26-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: forgot details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM

What are the symptoms?

(I would change the oil also)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichris View Post
What are the symptoms?

(I would change the oil also)
The engine does not start. Here's a video I recorded to show exactly what it's doing.

Last edited by yelloowboixx; 05-26-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: forgot detail..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Smile Carbs are gunked up I bet.

Having recently gone through a similar experience with my wife's bike (seldom ridden last year due to law school), I am guessing the carbs are probably all gunked up with crud and varnish. This is bad.

You can try adding lots of carb cleaner to the tank and continuously trying to start it and that might work, but even if it does start, it will be rough running.

I ended up pulling the crabs out of her bike, taking them apart, and cleaning them thoroughly with carb cleaner. While I had them apart over the winter, I ordered a Factory Pro jet kit, installed it and reassembled everything.

Added some fresh gas to the tank, which I had previously drained.

The bike started almost immediately. And it runs significantly better then it ever has. Off the choke in about 30 seconds, and ready to ride away in less time then it takes to get the gloves, jacket, and helmet on. Low end stumble is gone and better mid-range power too.

Gas mileage likely suffers a bit, maybe from 75 mpg to 70mpg, but who cares!? it runs soooo much better. In Canada the bikes are jetted ridiculously lean to pass emissions testing and that really hurts the ridability of these bikes.

I would suggest at the very least you pull the carbs, clean them thoroughly, and adjust the pilot screws as noted elsewhere on this forum. Get a service manual and do it yourself, or a competent mechanic.

And then, if you ride infrequently, make sure you use gas stabiliser all the time, and start the bike up once a week. This keeps fresh fuel in the float bowls and stops the gas from going "stale". Or better yet, ride it more!!!

If it is going to sit for more then a few months, follow the proper long term storage as noted in the manual. You won't regret it.

Hope this helps!https://www.250r.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Shaun
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunlaverty View Post
Having recently gone through a similar experience with my wife's bike (seldom ridden last year due to law school), I am guessing the carbs are probably all gunked up with crud and varnish. This is bad.

You can try adding lots of carb cleaner to the tank and continuously trying to start it and that might work, but even if it does start, it will be rough running.

I ended up pulling the crabs out of her bike, taking them apart, and cleaning them thoroughly with carb cleaner. While I had them apart over the winter, I ordered a Factory Pro jet kit, installed it and reassembled everything.

Added some fresh gas to the tank, which I had previously drained.

The bike started almost immediately. And it runs significantly better then it ever has. Off the choke in about 30 seconds, and ready to ride away in less time then it takes to get the gloves, jacket, and helmet on. Low end stumble is gone and better mid-range power too.

Gas mileage likely suffers a bit, maybe from 75 mpg to 70mpg, but who cares!? it runs soooo much better. In Canada the bikes are jetted ridiculously lean to pass emissions testing and that really hurts the ridability of these bikes.

I would suggest at the very least you pull the carbs, clean them thoroughly, and adjust the pilot screws as noted elsewhere on this forum. Get a service manual and do it yourself, or a competent mechanic.

And then, if you ride infrequently, make sure you use gas stabiliser all the time, and start the bike up once a week. This keeps fresh fuel in the float bowls and stops the gas from going "stale". Or better yet, ride it more!!!

If it is going to sit for more then a few months, follow the proper long term storage as noted in the manual. You won't regret it.

Hope this helps!https://www.250r.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Shaun

I am attempting to take to carbs off now. The Air box was such a pain to get out of the way.

I stuck here: How do I remove the throttle and choke cable ??? There's like a cylinder that's connected to both the choke and the throttle cable which connects to the Carburetor. I am really frustrated right now.. I thought I almost had it..

Also... The IDLE control tube is still connected to the Carb.. Do I just yank it out from the Carburetor end?

Thank you so much for your reply.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Take a look at the Ninja 250 wiki for details ... extremely helpful http://faq.ninja250.org/

Let us know how it turns out for you. In my experience, cleaning your carbs is likely to be the key. Be sure to carefully remove and clean the main and the pilot jets, soak them in a carb cleaner for an hour or so along with the carbs (minus the rubber rings), boil them if need be, blow compressed air through them until you can see light through the jets, reassemble, and you are good to go.

The throttle and choke cables are relatively easy to pop off. Don't force anything though.

good luck!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Leave the idle adjustment cable on the carbs; not a big deal unless you plan to boil the whole damn thing
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM

the same exact thing happened to my 2009 250R, I'm sure this is an obvious question but some people do miss the basics.. When you bought your brand new battery, did you charge your battery first before putting it in your bike? You have to usually charge the brand new battery for about 30 minutes to an hour..After that, I kept my motorycle on Idle for about 20 minutes with the choke open on full. And finally ran smoothly.. this was a headache that took me a while to go over, I thought it was the carb, or gunks, or oil, or even old gas.. all kinds of crap, but turns out it was the simple basics and it was okay.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:14 PM

Good find. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement