Well this sux :/ any advice? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Well this sux :/ any advice?

Well me and my gf went to go get her, her first bike and I drove it home for her. She got a 2010 ninja that she found online. ImageUploadedByMO Free1368153536.552690.jpg
Anyways on the way home the chain snapped in the middle of a turn not 4 minutes from our place no damage to me luckily but her bike on the other hand took it hard. The chain jumped a tooth on the sprocket and kinked up within the housing cover for the sprocket and wedged the cover on so I couldn't get it off to remove the chain. It also went straight trough the cain guard and through the plastics on the bottom of the tail shredding a bunch of wires
ImageUploadedByMO Free1368153997.558290.jpg
Anyways I fixed the wiring issues and decide to take It to the local kawi dealer just to have the chain removed. It takes them 2 days and I never get a phone call from them ever so I call and they say that they got the chain off but it cracked the motor and is leaking a little oil but will still run and should be ok to ride.....fml anyways my gf hasn't even gotten to ride her bike yet and has not been too happy about all of this I don't have any pictures of the crack but I'm thinking about just putting on sum JB weld to seal it, what do y'all think I'm going to try and get a pic of the crack to post tomorrow when I pick up the bike. Also what do y'all think I should do about the bottom side of the tail? I have seen sum sweet looking LED whole replacements but I'd what exactly to look for. So anyways just looking for any advice on how I should go about solving these issues. Thanks and safe riding!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 AM

Cracked engine cases are never good. Because the engine on the Ninja 250 provides an integral part of the frame stiffness, I would not recommend riding it with oil leaking and a crack in the engine case. Cracks do not get better with heat, they get worse. I would not use JB weld on it at all. Engine replacement or getting another bike are your options at this point. Get another bike and you'll have plenty of spare parts that you can use or eventually sell. Selling used Ninja 250 parts is a big money maker. A 1/2 dozen parts can net $1k easy.
A replacement 250 engine is getting hard to find nowadays.

Last edited by DaBlue1; 05-10-2013 at 05:01 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

What's your recommendation on finding a motor for it, what years would be a easy swap for it, and about how much would one cost do u think? We are broke college students and she took a loan to get the bike as is so cost is a issue for us. And no JB weld even as a temporary thing until we find a replacement motor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM

any motor from an 08 to a 12 will work. You might get lucky and find one for $150, but I think the average will be about $250-$300 and it may have a decent amount of miles on it.

No JB weld even as a temporary thing. It may only end up making things worse. This really isn't something you want to attempt to fix at all.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk3n Duck View Post
What's your recommendation on finding a motor for it, what years would be a easy swap for it, and about how much would one cost do u think? We are broke college students and she took a loan to get the bike as is so cost is a issue for us. And no JB weld even as a temporary thing until we find a replacement motor?
Craigslist, Ebay, Salvage / junk yards are probably your best bet. Every now and then someone on one of the several Ninja 250 forums may have one for sale. All 2008-2012 Ninja 250 engines are a direct swap.

If the crack is anyplace where oil is held or close to a mounting point, I would not trust JB Weld. Depending on how big the crack is and if it is near near the top of the crankcase, you may get lucky.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 PM

hey i have a motor from my ninja, 16,000 mi 09 im asking 450 you can pick it up this weekend if you wanted
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Check with motorcycle salvage yards in your area. New bikes are sold and get stolen or wrecked and totaled fairly regularly. 250's being as popular as they are and having relatively a consistent design platform will make finding parts a good bit easier.

I had to replace the 250 engine in my 2005 with a busted crank a few years back and found a wrecked 2007 at a salvage yard with 1500 miles showing on the odometer. The engine cost me about $400.00 but was not even broken in yet.

Is your dealer suggesting that the bike is rideable the way it is?

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM

bottom end

I've got the bottem end from a 2011 with less than 1500 miles on it. Still good. Bike ran perfect. I've taken lot of parts off it. I took off cylinder, pistons, side cases, clutch basket. PM me if interested and I can send you some pics. $100 plus shipping.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM

If you need a motor with low miles I have one here:
http://oemninjaparts.com/shop/ninja-250-motor/
this one only has 500 miles on it (the gauge cluster from this bike is also on my page)
I also have great condition undertails and other things that might help you out getting the bike back to looking like new.
The prices on my page include free shipping (for a while at least).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Just a thought but maybe you can do an insurance claim. Might cost you a little but it would get fixed right. It's worth giving them a call.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement