freeway cruisin - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

freeway cruisin

hey guys im a newer 250 owner but ive ridden motorcycles before... just had the 250 for a week and finally took it on the freeway. it seems to be really bouncy. i mean im a little guy only about 130lbs and i checked the rear shock setting and looks like it is on 1. it should be the softest setting right? anything i can do to make the ride less bouncy? bigger tires? sprocket size? etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 AM

Im 120 lbs. and this is my first bike. I will have had the bike a year in two weeks. According to professional suspension advice preload for me should be a click lower than capable with stock suspension. Freeway riding was fine for me after getting used to it. I have since purchased larger tires 120/150 and it made a huge difference in greater stability but sacrificed with slightly less flickablity. I also just installed an aftermarket shock with spring matched for my weight and am going to try it out for the first time this morning. I wouldn't necessarily advise getting a new shock for the price of shock to price of bike ratio isn't good. I don't see how changing sprockets would help your issue. There are a few riders on here that are around your weight and the shock works well for them (Subzero, minizoom).

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
I'm 136 pounds and so far have never had to adjust my suspension. Stock settings are set for my weight. I've had the bike (and myself ) see Dave Moss with Catalyst Reaction and Dave(?) with Aftershock Suspension and both have said the same thing. I think it's just one of those things you get used to. Adjusting it at this point would only make the bike more bouncy (for lack of a better word) from my understanding as the pre-load is set tighter so the bike will ride more rigid. Stock is the softest setting for your weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minichris View Post
I have since purchased larger tires 120/150 and it made a huge difference in greater stability but sacrificed with slightly less flickablity.
Hhhhmmm. I find that a tad bit odd. My tires (BT 090) are larger then stock and I have noticed an increase in "flickability" not a decrease. Same thing I experienced on my 04 250R when I had larger then stock tires on that bike. I had started doing that because of the increased stability and "flickability" as told to me by the expert racers who taught me how to ride.

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Hhhhmmm. I find that a tad bit odd. My tires (BT 090) are larger then stock and I have noticed an increase in "flickability" not a decrease. Same thing I experienced on my 04 250R when I had larger then stock tires on that bike. I had started doing that because of the increased stability and "flickability" as told to me by the expert racers who taught me how to ride.
what? okay. what size tires are we talking here? How could adding a larger contact patch, more drag, and more stickiness make the bike more "flickable"?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

hey guys, thanks for the advice, i think it was just the freeway i was on cuz it only happened that time... it was my first time on the freeway on my new bike so i was just concerned.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM

My advice.. Find better roads...

Some of the freeways here in Socal are so choppy it's ridicules...
Much of the 10 fwy is like riding a wash board...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM

Washboard? I got your washboard right here.
The 110 south carpool lanes (both of them) between the 10 to the 91.
I can no longer drink coffee at home in the morning before this commute.
Nuff said.

09 Black Ninja 250
12 BMW s1000rr

Do, or do not... There is no try.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 PM

The 605 freeway between the 91 and 405 is bumpy as well. I'm plan on getting 150 rear tires this week.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
ray

I' m 290 lb. and wonder if my new ninja will be able to handle it ?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM

You should be fine...

I've gone 2-up with my gf on the 250 and had no problem doin 80ish... I'm sure our combined weight is comparable to the figure you mentioned... She'll ride like a Cadillac...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement