Security device. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Security device.

In my ongoing preparation for the glorious arrival of my highly anticipated bike. I have been looking at security devices.

Should I get just a lock? (Would that be safe enough? Would I find something to lock the bike to everywhere?)
An alarm system instead? (Can I afford both the price and installation? Plus the fact that it would also require giving the bike with it, or uninstall it)
How about a disk lock that can be easily carried and put on whatever bike [it fits] that you have? (Not that I have a lot of them, but you get the point)
Even better, how about this one?

Does anyone have any experiences with this? Will it fit the 250?

What do you guys have? (if anything)

Last edited by edgary; 10-29-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Completeness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Head Janitor

I believe that goes onto the vent hole of the brakes, which are pretty much standard. I have none, just full coverage insurance.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM

I have the disc alarm lock. I removed the batteries because it would go off at random constantly. Severely annoying.

Lojack is nice but too expensive for the price. 25% or so of the cost of the bike. not worth it.

I also have a humongous lock and chain when I cant park in a secure garage.

Still if a thief wants it they'll get it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

The disc alarm you have is this same one? Because I know there are a couple other brands out there. I actually saw another one that has an adjustable sensitivity to the motion sensor.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 PM

I have the xena and there is no adjustment

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 AM

I use to use locks and chains (the New York Chain by Kryptonite) on my bike(s), but eventually I faced the fact that those will only deter the minor offense guys (read: joyride around the block when they're drunk, or a friend moving it to scare you). If a thief wants to steal a bike, there's no lock or chain out there that will stop them. Now, if you did something like this, maybe they'd choose not to risk getting caught due to the amount of time it would take to bust all the locks...

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to minizoom
I use a disc lock and full coverage ins. Of course my deductible is a 1000.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
If a thief wants to steal a bike, there's no lock or chain out there that will stop them.
Is that even with a disc lock that has an alarm. Would you think that would deter [at least most of] them?

Of course, I understand it also depends on where you live and what parts of town you frequent, but in the general sense, I would think that an alarm will scare most people off.

Now, minizoom brings up another good point. Do any of you have full coverage insurance? Cheap enough to justify paying the insurance, plus deductible, instead of the bike?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
I keep full coverage and uninsured motorist on my bike. You can never have enough coverage when it comes to motorcycles especially living in California.

Zmoe is right. If a thief really wants your bike they're going to get it. Most sport bikes do not weigh that much and can be easily lifted into the bed of a truck by two grown men. Wheel locks or not your bike is gone. Full coverage insurance is the only way to ensure you will recoup the loss of the bike. My bike has Lojack also. So if it was ever stolen and it's not in a million pieces there's a good chance they'll find it. But really there is no way to stop a determinded criminal if they really want your bike. A friend of mine had his 07 GSXR 750 stolen right out of his garage. They cut the locks on the garage doors and picked it up and hauled it off.
So yeah. They want it ............. they're gonna get it. So insure it to the nines. On and if you financed your bike by law you MUST maintain full coverage on your bike at all times.
Happy riding.

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.

Last edited by SubZero; 10-30-2008 at 01:43 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sexual chocolate Send a message via MSN to Sexual chocolate
hey sub where do u get a Lojack and where did u locate it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement