HELP! need advice on possible new purchase!!! - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

HELP! need advice on possible new purchase!!!

Hello everyone. not new to bikes but potentially new to the ninja 250 for my wife. ive been looking for a bike for her birthday and came across this one. i am mechanically inclined and have worked on everyhting i own. having said that, i need advice from experienced 250 riders/wrenchers, to take a look at this bike and give me the goods, bads and watch out's of a bike in this shape. look mostly cosmetic and cheap to repair but having no specific knowledge of the ninja 250, not entirely sure what to look for!!! Thanks guys!
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3505178939.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Personally I would walk away from this one. The damage is minor. Scratched fairings are common so are broken pegs, twisted pedals and levers. The thing that stands out to me is the fact that the seller says, "....It starts and runs perfect.....I have no time and desire to do it by my self and sell it like a normal bike, so i just wanna get rid of it as is."
If he won't even put the muffler back on and replace the foot and brake peg, he probably does not have time to start the engine or keep it running so that the carbs don't gum up. No mention of maintenance or previous ownership. That's just me though.

If your wife is just learning how to ride and the scratches aren't an issue, then this is the bike for her, provided that nothing is twisted. If she is short she may find it difficult to flat foot or even tippy toe as the bike sits a little high for some women. A 2007 or earlier model would sit a little lower and be a little narrower in the seat. New riders will drop the bike more than a few times so replacing the fairing may not be a big issue, however making sure it runs properly will be. Gummed up carbs will be your biggest issue if the bike has sit for a while, so expect to do a carb cleaning.

If you are willing to spend an extra $1000 or so to fix everything so the bike is pristine, just find a bike that's 1000-1300 dollars more, runs and looks better.

Last edited by DaBlue1; 01-08-2013 at 06:09 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

back story after speaking with owner

Thanks for the input. Here is a bit of back story, he has only had it for a week, bought it from a private seller, laid it down and is too scared to ride it now. He is willing to sell it to me for 1500$. So I don't think it has sat for very long negating gunky carbs( I hope). So, given the new info, reevaluate this bike and offer any advice! Thanks again guys! Also it will be my wife's first bike so cosmetics aren't an issue. Just want to get it back to rideable condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgreenmachine View Post
Thanks for the input. Here is a bit of back story, he has only had it for a week, bought it from a private seller, laid it down and is too scared to ride it now. He is willing to sell it to me for 1500$. So I don't think it has sat for very long negating gunky carbs( I hope). So, given the new info, reevaluate this bike and offer any advice! Thanks again guys! Also it will be my wife's first bike so cosmetics aren't an issue. Just want to get it back to rideable condition.
Foregoing the cosmetics....buy it. Check the frame where the foot peg mounts, fix the exhaust, brake, foot pegs, turn signal and possibly the brake lever, you've got a rideable bike for about $200+ in repairs. Just give it a good once over.

Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement