Do you wear ear plugs while riding? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Do you wear ear plugs while riding?

I friend told me about this and I looked into it- and if you dont wear ear plugs, the wind at high speed (freeway) can cause hearing loss and damage.
So I tried it and its so relaxing just hearing... so -much- less. And yes I can still hear copper's siriens and cars honking.

Try it! Get a pack of foam ear plugs and wear them in ur ears under your helmet.

Last edited by silas08ninja250r; 11-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM

I use them for long trips and switch out every couple 100 miles with ear buds for music

don't use them around town because I'm only going at highway speeds for about ten minutes at a time, but they do make a huge difference whenever I have used them

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM

I've always listened to music on long trips and when I don't my helmet blocks alot of the sound

Droid Bionic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Like the rest have noted I only use them on long trips. I live halfway between San Diego and LA so I put them in for those trips. I'd recommend Hearos if you're going to pick up a pack or two. I get mine on Amazon.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM

I have a pair of Sony earbuds with silicone tips (the "in ear" type). When I stick them in it's basically like wearing earplugs, as I hear almost no external noise. The only downside is that if I listen to music I can't hear the bike at all and I tend to ride a little faster not being able to hear the engine . But they do work well as ear plugs, and you can wash the silicon tips.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Speaking as someone who has worked for decades in very close proximity to military aircraft, explosives, pneumatic & heavy equipment, exposed diesel engines, large and small arms fire, I do not take hearing protection for granted. Over those years I witnessed my hearing level shift, despite wearing some of the best hearing protection currently available at the time. This was proven by regular hearing examination testing.

Although some riders would argue that wind noise from a motorcycle is less damaging or not damaging at all compared to jet noise, the truth is they are both just as bad. Hearing loss is insidious and is slow in it's progression, so much so, that it's difficult for a person to detect any drop in hearing from month to month, much less year to year. If you ride the highways for any distance or just at high speeds, you will be better off having worn ear plugs than nothing at all. Not only will wearing earplugs help reduced hearing damage, but on long rides it can help in fighting wind fatigue. Yes, long periods of exposure to listening to wind noise can be fatiguing. Keep in mind: There is no known cure for a hearing loss due to loud noise. There is no surgery, no rehabilitation, no medication that returns a noise-induced hearing loss back to normal.

In a NIOSH field study exploring why noise-exposed workers don't wear their hearing protection, the primary reason given was the workers' fear that it would interfere with communication and job performance. For workers with normal hearing, the signal-to-noise ratio actually improves when wearing ear plugs in loud noise, such that hearing a conversation is easier. But that's not the case for workers with existing hearing loss. For them, wearing hearing protection produces a double hearing loss -- the attenuation of the ear plug overlaid on their existing hearing loss. Some powersport operators go thru this same thing. They feel like they can't or won't be able to hear what is going on around them. If you are a car driver and you really take time to think about it, most times you don't ride with all the windows down in your car, stick your head out the window to hear what is going on around you. In fact it's probably the exact opposite.

This article provides some very interesting information and facts concerning the common ailment of motorcycle riding, a condition known as "Temporary Threshold Shift," commonly referred to as TTS by audiologists and hearing healthcare professionals.

So if you value your hearing, invest in a dozen pair of 15 cent earplugs. Experiment with them to find out which ones work best for you. In my opinion, by far one of the best and cheapest motorcycling and personal investments you can make.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:27 PM

No, only going out of town which is tomorrow

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Local Forum Asshole!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 PM

Well having done about 100 miles of freeway riding on Ninja Boy today I am gonna invest in earplugs. I did notice how much the wind noise affected me, both hearing-wise and fatigue-wise.

I do not suggest anyone use earbuds and listening to the iPod as a substitute for proper earplugs.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM

I always listen to music, can still hear everything around me and still hear my bike just cuts out the wind noise

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement