First fuelly log - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

First fuelly log

I have recently purchased a 2012 250r. I drove it home with 1 mile on the ODO. According to fuelly, I averaged about 64 mpg. 100% city driving(on-post) with speeds no greater than 50 mph (break-in), and mostly 2-up with my son on the back (50lbs). I am pretty impressed. I can't wait to be able to really open the throttle up and see what it has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Payday; topped off the tank from half tank and averaged 69 on what I used. All city [email protected] 360ish miles on the ODO. Still breaking in.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 AM

I always get better city millage then highway

Droid Bionic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Haven't had the chance to get on the highway, still breaking in. @ 430 miles...only service so far was chain clean/lube...it rained while I was at work...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 AM

Is there a way to have my fuel gauge adjusted? On a full tank my gauge only shows 3/4 full and by the time it's down to "E" i've only gone about 130 miles. When I fuel up, the tank usually takes around 2.5 gallons, so I know there should still be about 2 gallons in the tank..... I just never wanna find out the hard way . BTW, I have a 2012 as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM

If I were you, I'd set the trip meter to zero on your next fill-up. Then ride until empty, you'll still have reserve. The reserve should get you at least another 20 miles (plenty of time to make it to a pump). Then, after all of that, when you fill up, you'll see how much gas you consumed (by seeing how much you're filling it up with) and how many miles it lasted you

sounds pretty complex, but you're really just riding until empty, keeping a record of the miles with the trip meter, and seeing how much gas you're filling up with

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

^ exactly...when I fill up, it will show full for about 30 miles, then it starts moving down. I have been filling around 1/8 tank and only get 3.7 gallons in, so the last 1/8 is about a gallon...

The gauge is not completely accurate. I get about 250 miles to once I have comfortably get to 1/8 tank. So realistically, I could get another 60 miles until empty, but I am not that gutsy to see how much farther I could go...lol

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

First fill up after being on the highway a majority of the time...58 mpgs...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM

glad to hear you're getting close to 60 mpg still. Update on my situation.... I rode last week until the gauge was on E and just kept on riding since i knew there was more in the tank. Kawasaki's website states the fuel capacity is 4.8 gallons and I've been getting between 45-50 mpg as of late (been putting on the pounds for the winter I'm at 220 right now).

Anyways, I had gotten off the freeway and was coming to a traffic light that was turning red. I downshifted to 5th gear and as I let the clutch out to engine brake the bike died on me. I tried to start it a couple of times and then I figured it was out of gas, so I pushed it through the intersection and spent about a half hour looking for the reserve tank switch. According to the owners manual it is on the left side of the bike and you should be able to "operate the switch while riding the bike" so i figured it should be easy to spot. Unable to locate it I did some research online (thank god for my smartphone) and found that it is actually behind a panel that is affixed the the frame with a phillips screw. Now how you're supposed to unscrew the panel and remove it, flip the switch and put the panel back on while you're riding, I may never know . Apparently that part of the manual was borrowed from earlier models of the Ninjette.

So I ended up pushing the bike about a quarter of a mile to the gas station and filled her up to full....... 3.8 gallons..... not 4.5 or 4.8. I don't know how much is in the reserve tank but at least I know now that I still have some extra in the tank when I've only gone about 130 miles and I'm on E.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I don't seem to have a reserve switch. I see the Petcock, but it just has prime and open and no switch to turn...seems like you'd need a quarter to turn it...or a flathead...I have run it down to the "E" and pushed more. When I filled, I was only able to put in 3.8; that's the most I have been able to fill it. On my 04 500, I did have the fuel switch, and did run out on the highway...thank goodness for the fuel switch...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement