Wont takeoff until around 5-6k rpm, stalls mid ride once you lose momentum... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Wont takeoff until around 5-6k rpm, stalls mid ride once you lose momentum...

Okay guys, there's a bit of backstory to this, please bear with me.

When I came home from Afghanistan in 2010, my wife REALLY wanted a bike, and she picked out the 2010 250. I knew very little about motorcycles and while I'm a quick learner and have the potential to be mechanically inclined, I am not. That said, we liked the 250 as an entry level bike and from it we could move on to something bigger down the road.

Buying a motorcycle in Colorado Springs in October is a dumb idea. We did not know about properly winterizing a bike, and the carbureators got a little gummed up. It still ran though, and once we burned out all the crap, it worked like a champ.

Then, in 2012, I got sent to Minot, North Dakota. In October. The movers tell me "empty the fuel and we can move it for you" So I get on youtube, find the fuel line, empty that out, and they move the bike. We get set up in North Dakota, "no reason to do anything, fuel is empty!" so we store it for the winter season. Of course I didnt empty the carbs because I'm an idiot and didnt know any better, I thought the fuel was just empty and that was what we needed.

A friend says "dont bring it to a mechanic, ill help you clean them!" Guy finds out how complicated it is to get to the carbs, and quits on me. Family problems then keep me from sending it to a mechanic proper. A new buddy moves into the office, and promises he will help me no matter what. We get the carbs off, but one of the bowls is so bad we cant get it open. We hope we got enough into the valve to push it though. It starts, but runs for a bit a dies. Guy tells me we need new spark plugs probably, before I can buy them, I get a no notice deployment. Fuck me, right? Guy says he will do the work while im gone. He doesnt.

I come home, its winter. Now it isnt winter anymore. I pull the damn things off myself, bring them to the shop to have them cleaned, change the spark plugs myself, put it back together (probably, nobody is checking my work now..)

So here we are. The bike had a HARD TIME warming up. It didn't want to run, but now it starts up and stays running like a champ. Until you try to ride it. It wont go anywhere unless your SERIOUSLY cranking the RPMs, and it just doesnt feel like what I remember. I think I used to need only about 2-3k to go? I cant get it very fast on base (speed limit is 30) but when I switch back to second to turn, it basically dies, and I cant really get the RPM back up to keep going.

Could I have put something back together wrong? Any ideas? I would love to get this fixed and would greatly appreciate anyones input and suggestions.

The bike idles at about 1.3 if thats helpful to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 02:31 PM

It is not uncommon for the bike to run a little rough after some carb work. It is also not uncommon to raise the idle speed a little until the bike is fully warmed. 1.3k rpm is where it should idle normally. Proper octane gas is also important. The bike runs the best on 87 octane. Premium is not necessary.

I did not see where and if you changed or cleaned the air filter at all or if you checked for any air leaks around the carbs boots. All these things can also affect low speed performance.

Here are several performance tips that will help get your bike running right.

Last edited by DaBlue1; 03-31-2015 at 01:25 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm very ignorant of everything. So chances are, I did none of these things.

I'll check those things out and see if they help at all.

I also noticed after screwing around with it some more, I noticed it REALLY didnt like switching into gear. At one point, it was actually stalling when switching from neutral to first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Before I do anything completely dumb, checking everything out, I guess I have an EX250, are those steps you listed earlier still applicable?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaXZeo View Post
Before I do anything completely dumb, checking everything out, I guess I have an EX250, are those steps you listed earlier still applicable?
Yeap, all apply.

For help with future problems, refer to the Troubleshooting Guide and the Owner's Manual. They are your best friends

Last edited by DaBlue1; 03-31-2015 at 01:34 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Yeap, all apply.

For help with future problems, refer to the Troubleshooting Guide and the Owner's Manual. They are your best friends
Thanks. As I said, this is my first bike and, while I currently know nearly not enough about it, I'm pretty motivated to learn a ton from this, and I'm sure I ask some pretty ignorant questions =P I picked up some washers from amazon, and I'm looking for a better air filter... The pipercross ones arent so easy to find with google, adn the website is sort of vague, but the hurricane was pretty easy to narrow down. Do you recommend one over the other HC-8106 or the HM-8106? I believe the difference is stainless steel over cotton?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaXZeo View Post
.... the hurricane was pretty easy to narrow down. Do you recommend one over the other HC-8106 or the HM-8106? I believe the difference is stainless steel over cotton?
Depends on a couple of different things. The stainless I would only recommend if you have rej-etted (at least shimmed) and you ride in an area that not really dirty or dusty (desert climate).
The cotton hurricane filter is very similar to the more expensive K&N model. It's washable and re-oilable and should perform as well as any other similar constructed filters. Good for all climates and weather conditions.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

So, I did some of the steps you suggested: removed the snorkel and shimmed the needles. I ordered a new air filter, but still waiting for that to show up. I lost the nut to secure the battery connector, so I had to get a new one which is what took me so long.

The bike started up nice and easy today. Had to give it a bit of choke, but it quickly warmed up and let me turn it off pretty fast. At first, the bike was giving me a lot of crap when trying to rev it around the 4k mark. It would rev real easy from 0 to 4k, and then stop and stutter and slowly, SLOWLY, move from 4k to 5k, and then jump to revving quickly again.

My buddy tells me his bike also has a bit of a dead spot on his throttle. I'm certain this isnt normal. Any suggestions?

I also wonder if, when connecting the throttle cables to the carbs, if I may have installed it too loose or incorrectly? how realistic is this? Could it be as simple as taking a ratchet and tightening up the cable?

Thanks for all your help so far. At this point, I can at least ride it, which I'm greatly looking forward to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement