Heated Gear for 2008 Ninja 250r - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Heated Gear for 2008 Ninja 250r

I commute 50 miles daily on my 250, mostly highway. I plan to continue commuting through the winter as long as there isn't snow or ice on the road. However, in northeast Pennsylvania, that means braving some pretty cold weather. I wear leather overpants, a leather jacket with liner, SMX-5 boots, Cortech Scarab gloves, and a Schampa high neck dickie/neck gaiter. All that's really been unbearably cold has been my fingers, even with the winter gloves. So far, I've ridden down into the low twenties on my commute with no problems except for icicle fingers. I'm debating between heated grips or heated gloves. I may even decide to go for a heated vest and socks too as the weather gets colder.

My question is what's the max wattage my charging system can comfortably and safely handle? The only mods I've done with the electrical system is to put a 12V cigarette lighter style charging port in and I've replaced the rear turn signals with LED ones when I got rid of the rear fender. However, I added resisters instead of replacing the turn signal relay, so it is basically drawing the same power as an unmodified bike.

I posted this on another forum as well and had to clarify what information I was looking for, so I'll include this reply as well:

I plan on having the heated gear turned off when I start the engine since that draws a lot of power from the battery. However, a starter motor doesn't get it's power from the alternator; it gets it all from the battery and then the alternator charges the battery. I just wanted to find out how much power the bike is using while running running and how much power the alternator produces in order to figure out the amount of electrical power I have available for heating elements. I have read in a couple of places that the alternator on a 250 only puts out just under 200W. However, I haven't been able to confirm that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 AM

Best guess

I've been wondering the same thing, so I did some snooping around the web and it's looking like around 60 extra watts is what we've got to play with. I just ordered and will be receiving literally any minute now a shipment of Gerbing heated T5 gloves and a Gerbing heated vest and jacket liner (I'll decide which of those to keep after I test them out). The gloves run up to 27 watts, the vest up to 54 watts, and the full liner up to 77 watts, so 81 or 104 watts max, depending on what I go keep. You'll notice that's over the extra output of the alternator, but two things about that: a.) the gear connects directly to the battery, so I can run over alternator output if I'm OK with draining the battery, which I am because I have a short commute and a battery tender at home in the garage, and b.) when you adjust the heat level on Gerbing's gear, you are actually adjusting how much power it is drawing, rather than adjusting the frequency of full on/full off cycles, and from what I hear about Gerbing's gear, you pretty much never need to run things anywhere near maximum power. I don't know about other brands.

From another forum: "I won't guarantee the life of your electrical system, but I've run an electric vest/gloves/pants/soles On my 250 without draining the battery. Granted, I was running hid headlights and led tail lights and blinkers."

Hope this helps. I'll let you know how my heated gear turns out. This winter has been cold but rideable here in Iowa so far. Let's hope it stays that way!

Last edited by Xitomatl; 12-29-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement