Jetting, full exhaust, air filters, need a little education. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Jetting, full exhaust, air filters, need a little education.

Alright, I have the 2011 250, and I'm looking to get the Jardine Gp1 full exhaust. Now I've read that I don't need to re jet it off a couple posts on here, is that true? I'm probably going to get the full system and K&N filter at the same time, which will need a re jetting, that I know. If I just get the filter and jet the bike, could I just install the full system and not have to re jet? As far as which jet to get.... I'm lost. My dirt bike was the easiest thing in the world, I just had to buy the jet for this climate and pull the needle out two clicks, but the more I read on jetting a 250, the more I'm lost. How do I know what jet kit to buy? I live up pretty high 3,700ft, and I bought the bike from Portland which is around the 1,000ft area. Then with the added mods...ahh I think I've been over reading. I just need some help on which jet kit to buy for this climate and the full exhaust/air filter set up.

On a side note, can you guys start your bikes without choke and have it idle fine? It seems even when its 70 out my bike still needs choke to get the idle steady.

Sorry for all the bounced around posts. I get side tracked when I get to thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Garage
Okay I can tell you somethings, first off the carbs are lean from Kawasaki, at the very least you will need to adjust the idle mixture, by removing the caps, and try shimming the main jet needles with a washer or two, this is fairly easy and cheap to do, if need be you can go up one main jet size, you might want to ask your local Kawasaki parts person what size jets would be appropriate, or look up the formula to calculate it, which I use to know, but now I can't remember.

If you need the choke to get the bike to idle and start. I'm betting that you have no fuel filter, and your carbs need a meticulous cleaning, which I would recommend anyway so you have a good starting point, and install a fuel filter too.

These are just some ideas, and not the definitive answer, but all these are easy and cheap to do.

Hope this gets you started and helps.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 PM

I will always be in favour of re-jetting a bike if you are going to make changes to the intake and the exhaust! It's been going on for years! So I'm gonna talk about the dynojet stage 2 kit you can buy because that's what I have. It comes with options. Firstly you get new fuel needles that are slotted and they tell you which slot to use. It comes with 4 pairs of different size jets you can use, which they make recommendations on what size to use based on your mods. They also recommend the number of turns to adjust your idle mixture screws at. They also have a hotline you can call to ask them a recommended set up for your altitude and climate and all your mods. My bike is a 2012 stock intake and exhaust and I got it jetted anyway. I live at approx 3200 ft above sea level it uses the # 96 dynojet main jet and the supplied dynojet fuel needles. Idle mixture screws turned out 3 turns. Carbs were balanced at the same time. Result is a snappy throttle response and well running bike. Now if I was gonna spend hundreds of dollars on the exhaust of my choice and an expensive high performance air filter, I would go the full 10 yards and re-jet to balance everything out! I'm sure the pros at dynojet would best be able to answer your question about jetting with only the air filter first then adding the exhaust at a later date? There # is (800) 992-4993. www.dynojet.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:01 AM

Garage
That's sound advice for someone whom isn't experienced with carbs, sometimes I forget to what level a person is that i'm giving advice too.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 AM

It's all good Ghostt. Your advice and intentions all are for the betterment the forum members
Sponsored Links
Advertisement