Cafe Ninja - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Cafe Ninja

Hey everyone! This is my first post on this forum as I am new but basically I recently purchased as my first street bike a 1999 ex250 that's been modded almost entirely to be a cafe (all previous owner except for I had to make a whole new seat mount due the previous one being wood screws put directly up into the fiberglass seat ....yeah I know totally no comment on that) it's an awesome bike that was very fun but now I've ran into a whole heap of issues upon issues but I was hoping for some thoughts on one of the biggest ones... Basically at higher Rpms the bike bogs and at the top of 6th seems like it can barely reach 65 mph which as of course you all know is a walk in the park for a well functioning ninja ....I figured I had a fuel starvation problem or an air leak so I took the carbs out and cleaned them thoroughly even though when I opened them up they were very clean after that was all said and done I put everything back on the bike and what was once now running fine except for the bogging at high Rpms will now not turn over what so ever ...I shot some fuel down the air filters and it would turn over so I emptied the float bowls to see if fuel was even getting to the carbs and they are why is my bike now refusing to turn over? ImageUploadedByMO Free1391402445.592416.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Oh and also any thoughts on the bogging issue XD

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 AM

By the looks of your bike, you've obviously have some carb mods done to compensate for lack of an airbox.
Has your bike been sitting out in the weather lately?
Did you double check your carb reassembly?
Got a good spark?
What is your battery condition?

Have a good look at the Troubleshooting Guide to help you narrow down your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

The bike was left outside only one night a little while back other than that it has been garage kept and I haven't checked the spark plugs but it was running prior to pulling out the carbs ...I did double check the carbs. When it wasn't starting I tried turning the idle mixture screws and it didn't make any difference really at all yeah I'll give the troubleshooting guide a gander but in the meantime any thoughts on the bikes bogging at higher Rpms ? Ps yes the bike has two pod air filters

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 PM

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey tadster in actually very new to bikes and I'm not really sure what that means could you maybe explain the process a bit more?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinnichols73 View Post
... I'm not really sure what that means could you maybe explain the process a bit more?

Rejetting is the process of decreasing or increasing the size of the main or pilot jets inside the carb. Depending on the size of the main or pilot jet determines the amount of fuel that enters into combustion for a given intake set up.

Since you have pod filters, it's a given the your main jets are no longer stock and have been increased due to your lack of an airbox.

Here is some good info to help you with learning about your carbs.

How Constant Velocity Carburetors Work
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...bs_work_v3.swf

Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

Pipe Jetting (A Must Read)
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...s-jetting.html

Carburetor Jet Tech
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...et_tech_v3.swf

Last edited by DaBlue1; 02-09-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement