how many miles is too much? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

how many miles is too much?

Hey guys, I just finished my MSF course and I want to buy my 1st bike. I've been look at the Ninja 250's and in my area (San Diego, CA)the 08+ are all $3K+ and out of my range, the 07 and below are around $2K and that is close to what I want to pay, but almost all of them have 15K+ miles put on them, what is the engine life in one of this? I will be using this bike as my only mode of transportation and probably will keep this for 3+ years. Not planning on moving to a bigger bike. I don't really care much for speed as I don't want to end up in jail or dead for going above 90 mph. I just want to ride and enjoy the freedom.

Can any one shed some light into this matter, is buying a old ninja 250 with close to 15K miles a bad thing? what is like the max life expectancy of one of this older models? 25K? maybe 30K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 PM

the life expectancy just depends on how well the owner has taken care of the bike. The average life, from what I've read and heard, is about 35k. I've read of a few guys that got their 88-07 250 to 50k, but that's increasingly rare.

I would say 15 thousand miles is too many to buy a bike with. Keep looking! They're rare, but you can find an 07 or a little bit older 250 with less around 5k miles for around $2,000. I bought my 07 for $1500 and it had 9k miles. I've taken pretty good care of the engine so far, but can tell that the PO didn't. At times I've found myself wishing I would've been more patient. At least once a month, I find a 250 on craigslist with a lot fewer miles

I may end up replacing the engine if I have it that long. Engine's are also pretty easy to find, and I asked my Kawi dealer how much a new engine would cost and he quoted me at around $1500 with install...not a bad deal for a "brand new" bike

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

oh ok. Thank you. I guess I'll just have to be more patient then. I guess I'm just really excited to get a bike that i don't want to wait lol. I guess for now, I will just research on gear before getting the bike then.

Also on the side note, my supervisor at work rides a Harley and he was saying that it is not a good thing to buy a 6+ years old bike with very low miles because that bike probably must have been sitting for too long and not used enough and actually might give you more problems. how true is this statement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM

it can be true sometimes, but not always. The main thing that's usually wrong with a bike with low mileage that has been sitting for that long is that the carbs will be dirty/clogged because gas has been sitting in them and has dried up

if you find any with low mileage like that, take your buddy with you and have him check it out and test ride it. He'll know what to look for and know how it's supposed to look and feel. If he's not able to, try to take a motorcycle mechanic with you. It's always good to build a relationship with a reliable mechanic

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:00 AM

HI guys - thanks very much for posting this info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement