Just looking for honest opinions - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1
Unhappy Just looking for honest opinions

I bought my 1999 Kawasaki Ninja about 6 years ago in New Hampshire. In the state of New Hampshire for a vehicle that is a 1999 you do not need a title at all. That being said about 5 years ago I moved to Iowa where, surprise! you do need a title. When I went through a break up shortly after moving half way across the country, my now ex, threw my keys in the river. So no keys, no title. Sounds sketchy, I know. I have never driven a motorcycle nor do I know anything at all about them, but that, among other reasons is why I bought this motorcycle. Now what I'm really looking for opinions on is this; I can obtain a copy of my New Hampshire registration and I can get a new title issued by the state of Iowa but in order to do all that I really have to jump through hoops, but it's still doable. My bike has just over 7000 miles and was in good condition when I bought it but it has sat in my garage, not started once in 5 years. Would it be worth it to keep the bike and fix it? Or Should I not bother?
Coley is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 1
It depends on how much time and money it would take to get it up and running and registered. Once you've determined this, if you are willing to spend the time and money go for it! If not, maybe you can sell it as a parts bike and just buy one that has keys and is registered. Look at the opportunity cost of doing one option vs the other. Good luck!
EZ E is offline  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denver-ish
Posts: 9
Honestly, I think that if the bike has sat for that long and hasn't been started that it's likely that if your ex hadn't tossed the keys in the river you probably wouldn't have touched the bike for a lot more years.

My advice is that you should just sell the bike to somebody for parts or as a track bike. If that person wants to pursue making it street legal, then they bare the burden of jumping through the hoops to make that happen. For what a 17 year old bike with no title/keys and has sat for that long is worth, I think that's your best option.

If you decide you want to try to ride, you can probably find another 250 in good working condition for around $1000-1500 a few years newer than the one you have.
bennice2002 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: hobbs nm
Posts: 11
get a surety bond title from your insurance company, or wherever does it there, theres some foot work and a dmv vin inspection, and takes about 6 months to get the surety bond title, then rake your new title to a kawasaki dealership and they should be able to order you a new set opf keys off your vin number, some shops may be able to cut the keys on the spot, or just change our the key ignition switch
bbwolf is offline  
Sponsored Links


#newgirl, #pleasehelp, honest, opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome