Just looking for honest opinions - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Just looking for honest opinions

I bought my 1999 Kawasaki Ninja about 6 years ago in New Hampshire. In the state of New Hampshire for a vehicle that is a 1999 you do not need a title at all. That being said about 5 years ago I moved to Iowa where, surprise! you do need a title. When I went through a break up shortly after moving half way across the country, my now ex, threw my keys in the river. So no keys, no title. Sounds sketchy, I know. I have never driven a motorcycle nor do I know anything at all about them, but that, among other reasons is why I bought this motorcycle. Now what I'm really looking for opinions on is this; I can obtain a copy of my New Hampshire registration and I can get a new title issued by the state of Iowa but in order to do all that I really have to jump through hoops, but it's still doable. My bike has just over 7000 miles and was in good condition when I bought it but it has sat in my garage, not started once in 5 years. Would it be worth it to keep the bike and fix it? Or Should I not bother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 PM

It depends on how much time and money it would take to get it up and running and registered. Once you've determined this, if you are willing to spend the time and money go for it! If not, maybe you can sell it as a parts bike and just buy one that has keys and is registered. Look at the opportunity cost of doing one option vs the other. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 PM

Honestly, I think that if the bike has sat for that long and hasn't been started that it's likely that if your ex hadn't tossed the keys in the river you probably wouldn't have touched the bike for a lot more years.

My advice is that you should just sell the bike to somebody for parts or as a track bike. If that person wants to pursue making it street legal, then they bare the burden of jumping through the hoops to make that happen. For what a 17 year old bike with no title/keys and has sat for that long is worth, I think that's your best option.

If you decide you want to try to ride, you can probably find another 250 in good working condition for around $1000-1500 a few years newer than the one you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM

get a surety bond title from your insurance company, or wherever does it there, theres some foot work and a dmv vin inspection, and takes about 6 months to get the surety bond title, then rake your new title to a kawasaki dealership and they should be able to order you a new set opf keys off your vin number, some shops may be able to cut the keys on the spot, or just change our the key ignition switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement