Single muffler exhaust - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Single muffler exhaust

Hey new to the street bike and ninja scene in general I hate the dual pipes on my 04 ninja 250r anywhere I can buy a bold on kit to fix that or do I need to make one from scratch and a new 4 to 1 header? Please help and any other cool cheap mods to get more power would be greatly appreciated please and thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:26 PM

The Muzzy full exhaust system is a 2-in-1, but you have to cut a piece off the bottom fender for it to fit.

In short, if you want more power, the quickest way is to get a bigger bike. Any mods aren't gonna make a huge difference as far as 250's go. You can improve acceleration by changing your gearing with your sprocket setup.

Also, getting a new exhaust system will require rejetting the carbs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkillah4208 View Post
Hey new to the street bike and ninja scene in general I hate the dual pipes on my 04 ninja 250r anywhere I can buy a bold on kit to fix that or do I need to make one from scratch and a new 4 to 1 header? Please help and any other cool cheap mods to get more power would be greatly appreciated please and thank you
I would just leave it alone and enjoy the bike. Those classic 250's pull a bit harder than a stock newgen 250 from my experience if that makes you feel any better. It might be gearing related or it might just have more power, but it is what it is. Other than the lack of tire selection, those old 250's are easier to do a valve job on compared to my 08. You probably need a bigger bike, bolt-ons are not going to satisfy you.

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5
3. 08 Ninja 250R Track Prepared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 06:36 PM

2 into 1 exhaust off of 2008-2012

I am thinking that the stock 2 into 1 exhaust could be made to fit the earlier Ninja's without too much problem, I think the head exhaust port spacing may be the same, and if the mounting bracket doesn't fit, a new one could be made up. Anyone have any ideas on this?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahawk View Post
I am thinking that the stock 2 into 1 exhaust could be made to fit the earlier Ninja's without too much problem, I think the head exhaust port spacing may be the same, and if the mounting bracket doesn't fit, a new one could be made up. Anyone have any ideas on this?
Short answer is no bueno. The exhaust ports and headers are two different sizes (27 mm vs. 24 mm)and the header flanges are arranged different as well. too much fab work needed to make it work

Area P and Muzzy used to make single exhaust systems for the pregens. There may be a few out there somewhere.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Short answer is no bueno. The exhaust ports and headers are two different sizes (27 mm vs. 24 mm)and the header flanges are arranged different as well. too much fab work needed to make it work

Area P and Muzzy used to make single exhaust systems for the pregens. There may be a few out there somewhere.

Thanks, DaBlue1, I see the difference! I am thinking that perhaps a swap of header flanges might get that 250J system mounted on an earlier 250E or F model. I like the setup on the Muzzy also! they look like larger pipes, and they should flow more. I'm a pipe welder by trade, so cutting and fabbing is not a problem. I am thinking of picking up a newer 2-1 system and messing with it.
Charlie
the Chaplain

Last edited by Yamahawk; 11-10-2015 at 01:18 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 AM

Garage
If your handy with a welder, and pipe, then your all set, make your 2-1 pipe, and then use any muffler you want.

You will need to rejet the carburetors, of you have access to an exhaust gas analyzer then your set.

You could find a good used set-up on eBay, and save some $$$.

Here's some information, http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Exhaust

If your doing this for more hp, then it's not going to net much. If your doing it for looks, then have at it.

Personally the best bang for the bucks is setting up the suspension, and dialing it in to your weight, and riding style, don't forget tires.

A properly set-up ninja 250 is extremely formidable opponent in the twisties, assuming the rider has the skills.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 11-10-2015 at 07:12 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:28 PM

Thanks, Ghostt, some good info there...
A friend gave me a 'new' 2012 header complete with the HUMONGOUS can that serves as a muffler, lol. The header itself is a jewel of stainless steel fab work, and is pretty light. I would be doing this for weight reduction as the main goal, and then horsepower for the 2nd goal. I wouldn't use the stock 2012 muffler as it is very heavy! I can find an aftermarket shorty can that is similar to the Muzzy can, and use that, perhaps a SuperTrapp can, or something similar. I see that the flanges will definitely need to be removed, and a piece of pipe the correct diameter welded on the header to mate with the stock flanges and collars from a 250F. I think the weight savings from a two can stock system should net me at least 2 horsepower there! (Every 7 pounds is a horsepower )
So, if nothing else, it will give me something to do this winter hehe. I hope it will fit under the lower belly pan I have from an '07, if not it will when I get done! Thanks again for the good information!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Garage
No problem, weight is a good idea, but not necessarily should it be your own reason, HP gain is minimal amount. I personally went on a diet and lost about 45lbs.

Now if your looking for a project, then you sir have a winter project.

Personally the OEM exhaust system does the job, and while heavy, it is quite, unlike most aftermarket system.

Kawasaki did an excellent job squeezing out all the HP out of such a small package. Just make sure the carburetors are serviced and dialed in.

As I said the best investment is upgrading the suspension, it's cheap and easy to do. Get a rear shock from a 08& up Ninja 250, it's a solid piece and is better for heavier riders about 200 lbs range.

Also the fork springs from the same model will be an improvement, might need to be cut down slightly, and shimmed To dial them into your weight.

Final option is a pair of Ricor INTIMINATOR
http://store.ricorshocks.com/product...20-1001nin.htm

After that tires, I use Bridgestone BT45

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Suspension

Good luck.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 11-10-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Cool! I race a 1989 VTR250 Interceptor currently against Ninja 250's and 300's, and it is as fast as the 300's, but not necessarily faster than a hopped up 250 lol... I got this bike to use as my 'B' bike at the track, and yes suspension is a priority for it, looking for a Penske or Fox twin clicker for a modest price (if there is such a thing). I have read that an SV650 shock will work and any of the remote reservoir GSXR shocks will fit also, including the Bandit shocks. The 250J shock is a cheap alternative, and would be better than the stocker, that's for sure! I am going to try and fit EX500 rims to it, they would allow 17" tires to be fitted also. I just got off the phone with Pirelli USA, and they list a Sport Demon in 110/70-16 and 130/70-16 on their website, but they are only available in EUROPE!! They don't feel it is enough in demand here in the states... disappointing to say the least. Weight reduction will occur I hope on my end also, I need to 'drop' enough to gain another 3 horsepower lol...
I also want to apologize for hijacking this thread, i got carried away lol...
Charlie
the Chaplain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement