Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Best christmas gift ever

53K views 200 replies 10 participants last post by  Ds650rida 
#1 · (Edited)
Best christmas gift ever TEASER ALERT

Hello 250r members. This is a build thread I'm making and will hopefully keep updated as I conduct this build. My deadline is Christmas as this bike will be a gift for my girlfriend of 3.5 years.

I tried teaching her on my 636 and she really started to get the hang of it in parking lots. So last summer I sent her to a MSS to get her license and now the next step is her own bike.

I have been trying for a couple years to get her one and the right deal came along for me to pick one up. I found this 04 in rough shape and has a salvage title thats unregisterable. The seller was willing to trade for my go kart, so I loaded it up and hit the road.

In exchange for the kart the seller gave me the 250 with a box of parts, a 90 zx600 parts bike, and a clean titled "250" frame (which is really for a ninja 500)

Here is the kart in the truck ready to roll
Vehicle Car Tire Hood Automotive lighting

The two bikes in the truck
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

And the pics after I got it home
Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

As you can see this bike is ugly as sin. I'd like to make it a full fairing bike again at least for the time being. I like some of the cafe racer and street fighter themes I've seen so far but I'd like to wait until my gf can get a good feel for the bike.

I live with her in Staten Island and the bikes are at my parents house in NJ. So the only real time I have to work on this thing will be weekends.

And since I accidentally uploaded it anyway, some good ass beer to round off a long day of traveling and loading. Tableware Bottle Table Drinkware Stemware

It fits the theme of the thread too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#4 ·
I'll be sure to not disappoint. Last night I busted out my Scotch Brite and some 320 and went to work. After about 3 hours of sanding I got here Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part Electrical wiring Gas

I tried my best to save the stickers, the one for the front may be salvageable but the emmissions compliance sticker is finished.

So here is where I got after a light coat of primer Motor vehicle Plumbing valve Bicycle fork Gas Electrical wiring

I wanted to do my best to avoid runs but my finger got so damn tired on the spray can that I had to resort to using my thumb which ended up causing runs -_-

So by about 11:30 last night I got a few good coats of primer on and thats when I hit the lights & opened a beer Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Automotive tire

Color will come today after I sand down the runs.

#13 ·
Thank you.

So yesterday morning I went to a flee market and came across this bootleg dainese jacket lmao. Motor vehicle Sleeve Gesture Workwear Glove

I started tearing apart the old bike and it didnt take me long to find some half assedness. The tail light was wired for integrated turn signals and I suppose the nasa engineer who wired them never heard of solder or even crimp connectors Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

By lunch time I got about here
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Then popped off the air box lid and saw what I assume is someone's sick idea of an air filter -_- Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas

I did notice a decent amount of oil in the air box as well as around the crankcase vent. Maybe eventually I can fab up a catch can or something for that.

So eventually I got almost ready to drop the engine out. Automotive tire Motor vehicle Pollution Gas Automotive exterior

When draining the oil i noticed a lot of oil around the output shaft seal and the shift shaft seal so I'm going to order those today along with the o-ring for the water pump cover plate.

And so by 5:30ish I managed to get the engine out. So now its time to go back home and leave everything here as it sits Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

And now the grim realization that I only have 6 weeks left. So literally 12 days of working on it.

#14 ·
I added a few needed items to the original post.

The stock 250 bars are bent to shit. Luckily the 600 I have uses the same type. However I did need to turn the ends down a bit in order for them to fit in the 250 risers.

With that being said and done, I noticed that the risers on the 600 are about an inch shorter than the stock 250's and the bolt holes and fork tube cutouts should line up. The only thing I will need to mod is where the risers meet with the rest of the top triple tree. Perhaps I'll do a writeup on this as it seems like a great option for someone who wants a little more aggressive bar height but doesnt want the crazy drop that clip ons provide. More on that next week.

#19 ·
Yeah me too. The bike was running decently before I tore it apart and it looks like the screen caught most of the pieces of foam. I'm halfway considering getting rid of the airbox all together and just running 2 pod filters on the carbs. I've decided to go towards a street fighter look with this. That frame just looks too damn good to not have it show

#20 ·
So im crossed between what kind of front end I want to do.

The preferred and expensive option is a 7" headlight and a bikini fairing like so:

Second and one of the cheaper options is a cheapo street fighter fairing with projectors which I would prefer for hid's like this:

Third and cheapest option would be a dirtbike style headlight like this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.