Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Coolant leak.

Tags
coolant leak
4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ronnrs 
#1 ·
Hey, my bike is leaking coolant into crank case. I just put water in radiator and after about 20 min the oil in sight glass is milky and it also fills over flow bottle and leaks on the ground. I don't know if water pump seal is bad or the head gasket is blown. The bike is 06 with 7,000 mi. I don't want to get a water pump if its the head gasket. What do you all think. Think you in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
My bet is head gasket since it gets into the crankcase so fast. A simple compression test will tell you if it is the head gasket.

If the compression is still good the odds favor the water pump being bad.

Now with that said, IIRC (I don't have the service manual handy) pulling the water pump to check it and/or replace the seals isn't too difficult (and in any event easier than changing the head gasket.)

Of course you do realize you must not ride the bike till this is fixed.....

#4 ·
Topped off coolant and let it sit. Had drain plug and filter out. Pressurized coolant system and with both plugs out I can see coolant filling cylinders.changing head gasket sometime this week and let you know how its coming alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.