maintenance - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 91stealthtt
maintenance

we should make a maintenance sub forum also (i.e Oil change, chain cleaning, radiator flush ect.) for people who might want to know how to do it. this would also including changing the battery and pretty much anything you need to do to the bike to keep it up and running good. i will post up a DIY chain cleaning/lubing post in it when it is made, w/ pictures and step by step text so more of a DIY Maintenance thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to BP88
Someone can just link Ninja250Wiki write-ups. Most of that stuff you listed is very similar with various bikes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP88 View Post
Someone can just link Ninja250Wiki write-ups. Most of that stuff you listed is very similar with various bikes.
I know that but some people want to see how its done to our bikes in particular because you need to keep in mind this is a very popular beginner bike. So people are very mechanical but don't know a lot about bikes, so pictures and a write up on what they are trying to do would be very beneficial for certain people. Even if someone knows how to do it but wants to see a reference. And every bike is different no two models are the same. Different things in different places.

Last edited by 91stealthtt; 07-31-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Head Janitor

done!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Vtec. I will post the first write up of Cleaning and Lubing the chain, tomorrow w/ pictures for the first thread.....Seeing that I need to do it anyways, its been about 500 miles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to BP88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stealthtt View Post
I know that but some people want to see how its done to our bikes in particular because you need to keep in mind this is a very popular beginner bike. So people are very mechanical but don't know a lot about bikes, so pictures and a write up on what they are trying to do would be very beneficial for certain people. Even if someone knows how to do it but wants to see a reference. And every bike is different no two models are the same. Different things in different places.
I suppose you have a point, good sir.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM

I have a question... how important is the first service on the 250R??? I haven't got mine yet due to me not driving it because it is HOT as heck right now in AZ and I've had heat exhaustion twice so I'm waiting til its cooler to ride. What exactly do they do on the first service and its quite expensive 250+ dollars to get the service.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 AM

The first service is important for a lot of reasons. It allows the dealer to check the machine out and make sure that things aren't about to fall off. I've prepped new bikes before and while everyone is pretty diligent, things do get missed.

The valve-clearance on the Ninja 250 is really important. Not sure if they've corrected it on the current one, but the earlier models would dish the valves if they weren't adjusted periodically. The valve lash tends to get tighter with time and it stresses the valves. That can cause some big motor problems and the dealer doesn't want to have to deal with that under warranty.

Lastly, it allows the dealer to make a few bucks on the machine that they sold you. You can do and document the service yourself, but it's not something that you want to do if you haven't done it before.

Ride safe,

H~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:12 AM

MOMs for a 2007

First, I just bought my manuals from a Kawi dealer. It's a two-part manual which is interesting. The first manual is 86-87 ($25) and the second is 88-07 Supplement ($37). Does anyone know if this is the same engine from 86 to now? Looking at the specs for 07 and 08, nothing has really changed.

(Motorcycle Owner's Manual)

Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
Ronald. E. Osborn
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Head Janitor

THe supplement portion should tell you. If there are differences, it's very minor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement